Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for OEM parts online and am not finding any as of yesterday. I traded a Ridgeline in on the Tundra and there are several online Honda OEM parts dealers with VERY good prices. Does the same apply for Toyota?

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
The gen 3 has only been out for a month or so give it some time. I am sure the aftermarket and OEM stuff will be out asap. I am not sure what you consider "very good prices" from the dealership probably not so much, but I can't believe Honda would be cheaper than a Toyota dealer. Congrats on owning a real truck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
You won't find many OEM parts for a little while. Why would you be needing to look for parts already anyway or what is it your looking for.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheap Prices...

I was able to get OEM parts for Honda online for WAY less than MSRP. The last items I bought were front brake rotors...I paid the same for OEM that the local autoparts charged for their house-brand.

I am happy w/the Tundra so far...it rides more truck-like for sure, but in a good way.
....as far as "real truck" - by any definition, the Honda is just that. I gotta stand up for it....Regardless of the suspension configuration or what the truck was sourced from it did the job on and off road - time after time w/o fail. I bought it new in 2005 and just let it go at 140K....never had a wrench on the drivetrain, never got it stuck. Towed right at 5k lbs and occasionally more - over and over w/o complaint. The Tundra actually has more sag under the tongue load of my boat than the Ridgeline did.
http://www.linearrow.com/porch/tundraboat.jpg

To be honest, I was waiting till the 2nd Gen Ridgeline came out to trade but just as the 2014 Tundra was announced Honda announced it would be 2 more years before they redid the Ridgeline....so here I am :)

The gen 3 has only been out for a month or so give it some time. I am sure the aftermarket and OEM stuff will be out asap. I am not sure what you consider "very good prices" from the dealership probably not so much, but I can't believe Honda would be cheaper than a Toyota dealer. Congrats on owning a real truck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking for a 4x4 or TRD 4x4 decal

I didn't want the TRD package/ride, but the kid in me wants something beyond the tiny "4x4" on the tailgate to indicate it's 4wd. I certainly want an OEM sticker that would be found on a factory 2014 Tundra 4x4.

You won't find many OEM parts for a little while. Why would you be needing to look for parts already anyway or what is it your looking for.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I was able to get OEM parts for Honda online for WAY less than MSRP. The last items I bought were front brake rotors...I paid the same for OEM that the local autoparts charged for their house-brand.

I am happy w/the Tundra so far...it rides more truck-like for sure, but in a good way.
....as far as "real truck" - by any definition, the Honda is just that. I gotta stand up for it....Regardless of the suspension configuration or what the truck was sourced from it did the job on and off road - time after time w/o fail. I bought it new in 2005 and just let it go at 140K....never had a wrench on the drivetrain, never got it stuck. Towed right at 5k lbs and occasionally more - over and over w/o complaint. The Tundra actually has more sag under the tongue load of my boat than the Ridgeline did.
http://www.linearrow.com/porch/tundraboat.jpg

To be honest, I was waiting till the 2nd Gen Ridgeline came out to trade but just as the 2014 Tundra was announced Honda announced it would be 2 more years before they redid the Ridgeline....so here I am :)
Well didn't mean to step on the ridgeline...thought you may be a little excited about owning a damn nice truck...but yes like you said regardless of the configuration my wife's Sienna has never had a wrench on the drive train as well...congrats on the truck?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! and sorry - I didn't mean to be so sensitive....I've gotten a lot of flack over the years from people who think having a solid rear axle or body on frame is what defines a truck. IMO a truck is defined by it's capabilities and both the Ridgeline and the Tundra qualify.
I pointed out to my wife that the Tundra can tow the the Ridgeline that itself is towing it's max GVCW :)

Well didn't mean to step on the ridgeline...thought you may be a little excited about owning a damn nice truck...but yes like you said regardless of the configuration my wife's Sienna has never had a wrench on the drive train as well...congrats on the truck?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I will bag on the ridgeline as a truck because I work on them they are not good for offroad. Dirt road yes light trails yes heavy rocks no. I have a busted bed and a broken rear diff sitting at my shop from a farmer crossing a creek to feed cattle. The worst part is the rear diff parts are not sold by Honda you have to buy a complete rear diff to replace the broken case of the diff. I called Borg warner and got a free case so I could repair this one. So now I have a rear diff for a ridge line that has 20k miles.

Bottom line if you want to work a truck or go offroad in a rough area drive a tundra. If you just want a bed to throw some flowers for the wife or just move a piece if furniture sometimes, a ridgeline will work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've worked on them too...

This all based on one diff busted on a rock? I dare say there are plenty of rock busted parts on Tundras. In fact, a deer smashed into my 2014 the day after I got it...I guess Tundras have weak body panels :)

I will bag on the ridgeline as a truck because I work on them they are not good for offroad. Dirt road yes light trails yes heavy rocks no. I have a busted bed and a broken rear diff sitting at my shop from a farmer crossing a creek to feed cattle. The worst part is the rear diff parts are not sold by Honda you have to buy a complete rear diff to replace the broken case of the diff. I called Borg warner and got a free case so I could repair this one. So now I have a rear diff for a ridge line that has 20k miles.

Bottom line if you want to work a truck or go offroad in a rough area drive a tundra. If you just want a bed to throw some flowers for the wife or just move a piece if furniture sometimes, a ridgeline will work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts