Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OEM Audio Plus is offering an upgrade for JBL and non JBL Tundras:

http://shop.oemaudioplus.com/Toyota-Tundra-Crewmax-JBL-Enhancement-TYT-TCM-JUP-1400.htm

http://shop.oemaudioplus.com/Toyota-Tundra-Crewmax-System-400-TYT-TCM-SYS400-1400.htm

The plug and play concept sounds great to me, and I've read good reviews about their system for the FRS/BRZ and FJ. However, I have not heard any of their systems in person and frankly I don't know enough about stereo components to evaluate what they are offering and if it's a good deal.

Thoughts and opinions?

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
nice thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
post up the directions when it shows if you don't mind. that website is very sparse when it comes to actual information.

that little sub amp looks like it's straight out of a mustang.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I too would like to see the results.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interested as well. Can't wait for a review.

·
Registered
135 Posts
OEM Audio Plus is offering an upgrade for JBL and non JBL Tundras:

Toyota Tundra | System 300+ (JBL)

Toyota Tundra | System 300+

The plug and play concept sounds great to me, and I've read good reviews about their system for the FRS/BRZ and FJ. However, I have not heard any of their systems in person and frankly I don't know enough about stereo components to evaluate what they are offering and if it's a good deal.

Thoughts and opinions?
Mike, the owner of OEM Audio Plus is a great friend, whom I've known for 20+ years.

He has a long distinguished history in the car audio biz

He does not do anything half ass especially when it comes to Sound Quality

Let me see if I can get him or someone from OEM to chime in

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
all i'm really curious about is where those tweeters are meant to go.

the rest is pretty obvious. it has a direct replacement amp with a t-harness to run back to the woofer. i imagine the new amp is also (hopefully) crossed over differently than the oem non JBL to utilize the 6x9's as a midrange driver since it comes with a subwoofer.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It definitely would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Mike, the owner of OEM Audio Plus is a great friend, whom I've known for 20+ years.

He has a long distinguished history in the car audio biz

He does not do anything half ass especially when it comes to Sound Quality

Let me see if I can get him or someone from OEM to chime in

·
Registered
135 Posts
There has been some further progress, I will let @pvmike update the thread

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I ordered, the site said it was a 21 day wait for prepurchase orders. Later in the day I went back and they had changed it to 14 days so I guess I'll be receiving it a week earlier than expected.I'm super excited for this going by how happy the FRS and BRZ owners have been with the upgrade. I'm hoping eventually they will come out with the upgraded Reference kit like they did for the FRS guys. The reference kit upgrades the door speakers and recalibrates the amp and you can upgrade for the price of the new components.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There has been some further progress, I will let @pvmike update the thread
Thanks Femi. I wouldn't necessarily call it progress, but I purchased the JBL upgrade from OEM Plus.

Objectively, I don't think that OEM Plus's package is a good value proposition from an equipment standpoint. I still question whether an enclosure with a single 8" sub will be enough. And as River rat states, hopefully there will be a Reference kit offered later as well. But as is, there isn't a lot that will be added. There are other companies that provide a solution which replace all the door speakers, such as Tech12volts discussed here in this active thread:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/475050-audio-upgrade-question.html

However, I chose to go with them for a few reasons. I have previously upgraded a sound system in another vehicle with quality components, custom built speaker mounts and custom fiberglass sub enclosure housing JL subs, but that was long ago and I had a friend who knew what he was doing help with the install. Even though it was worlds better than stock and much louder, that system was still lacking because I retained the stock head unit and the system needed to be tuned, and that's something I don't know how to do. I figure any system from OEM Plus will at least be tuned well.

Also, even though I still like to listen to some bass heavy music at times, I don't need it to be so loud that it can be heard outside of the vehicle. OEM Plus states that it will be clean and crisp, and that sounds good to me. In addition, I want it to be seamless and hidden - I don't want any wires or amps sitting on the rear passenger floor since I often have the seats up with stuff loaded back there.

Another big plus is that I'm in SoCal and they are local. I plan on having them do the install, so I know it will be done right.

I'll update this thread later with my objective feedback.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got a call from Daniel at Oem Audio Plus. These guys are really on top of their game! He said that they are definitely exploring the possibility of offering the reference kit in the future, depending on the demand. Also, as far as tweeter placement, on the non JBL kits the tweeter will replace the 3.5 inch speaker on both sides of the dash. It is going to be a complete revamp of what I am hearing from the truck currently because it seems that I almost hear that particular dash speaker more than any other in the truck. For the JBL guys, the new tweeter will fit in the spot where the current tweeter is, up on the door by the mirror. Also, my kit will be shipping in the next 14 days instead of 21. Super psyched for this! The stereo is about the only thing I have been bummed about with this truck and the aftermarket options up until this point have been mind boggling as far as what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It doesn't seem like they sell individual components. They tune everything as a kit, so even if they did, the tweeters in place of the 3.5 stockers would just sound off. They don't offer new door speakers with the kit anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
if anyone gets this and decides to sell it please let me know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
..There are other companies that provide a solution which replace all the door speakers, such as Tech12volts discussed here in this active thread...

@pvmike Keep in mind, the door speakers in the Tech12 kit are 6.5" dia.

Tundra front stock speakers are 6x9.

When the OEM+ Reference kits become available, they will use 6x9's (front door) and 6.5" (rear door)

1 - 20 of 168 Posts