Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all: I have a 2010 Tundra 4x4 Crewmax Platinum, 5.7....

I noticed today when getting off the ramp on the highway, there was a strange noise: Almost like a creaking suspension spring, but it was a constant... (I could also describe it as sounding like wet rubber against the pavement, or something of that nature... but the pavement was dry).

I opened the window and listened to it all the way home: With the steering wheel in the neutral position (going straight), it goes away... but when you turn it even a little, the noise returns...

I almost thought power steering pump... but it only occurs while the wheels are rolling, not at a standstill... It's most audible when turning right.

I noticed it a few months back, but it went away after a day or two... Now it has returned.

Any ideas as to what I should be looking for???

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are you lifted?
It almost sounds as though the CV boots are squeaking.
The "peaks" of the corrugated boot do come into contact with each other during turns and/or when the truck is lifted causing friction.
Try spraying or coating liberal amounts of silicone spray or dry lube on the boots and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. She's at stock ride height, but I'll take a look and see if I notice any abrasion on the boot.

I do know I parked with the wheels at full turn yesterday, for at least 11 hours. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I'll drive home tonight with the window open... And see if I can't hear anything

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, she just spent the last 3 days at the dealership, and they said it was the rear Bearings/Backing plates. It was all replaced.

I didn't notice any noise on the ride home, but I'll keep an ear on it, and update if needed. Hopefully, though, this was all taken care of!

·
Registered
733 Posts
PM, sent. I'm having the same problem. Still have warranty and dealer wants $1500 to repair. Need advice.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
hmm... only when rolling?
do bumps change it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
rear bearing and backing plates??? what a joke. its the backing plate or commonly known as a dust shield. the shields heat up and flexxes causing them to rub on the rotor. I fixed mine YESTERDAY cause the grinding got worse over time. got the solution from this site. sure sounded like it was coming from the front though. sucks the dealership stuck you for the bearing. sending a thank u to the person on this site that said to try this first.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I personally didn't pay a dime. The slip showed $1300 or so (I forget now) but my extended warranty took care of it. I think it'd be helpful if you could link to the other post though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
not sure how to do that Gizzy. I searched "grinding noise when cornering " and yours did as well as one from Beng.. Glad you got a new bearing out of it then. That was my fear when i decided to figure it out b4 taking it in. The addt charges not related to a simple fix charged by the dealer. Mines an 08'. Guessing they changed the design on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2013 CrewMax Rock Warrior is doing this from day one. I live on a pretty twisty road and I hear it intermittently. Barely 6 months old. :|

1 - 13 of 13 Posts