Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't done much research but is there any hp gain information on the CAI's for the Tundra's? Here's why I ask, while looking at dyno hp curves for CAI's for my old Titan I noticed that some of them actually have HP loses in the low to mid range rpm's, say 1000-4000 and then a 10-15 hp gain from 4000-6000k. I was looking to improve perfomance while towing in an effort to prevent some downshifting, this would be counter productive if I am buying a CAI that decreases HP from 1-4k rpm. I found an intake made by Injen that increased hp throughout the entire RPM band, the dyno curve was actually pretty impressive. I only towed my boat once with the CAI installed but it definatly seemed to do better.

Another thing to consider is how is your fuel/air ratio effected. It is possible to run your engine too lean by adding too much air. The Injen claims to be the only CAI that is tuned not to make the engine run lean. I actually had a air/fuel guage on the truck and the truck never ran lean. I was very happy with the CAI I had on my Titan but they do not make one for Tundra's which brings up another question.

Why the lack of manufacturers that make CAI's for the Tundra's. I haven't done any research on Tundra CAI's but on titantalk a HUGE thread with info on a TON of CAI's. Just to name a few, AEM, Fram, Injen, Banks, aFe, Fujita, Airaid, K&N.... Makes me wonder if the iforce motors don't benefit as much as the Nissan motors do from a new intake. Is the stock filter and box good enough? I do admit that the new sound you get is worth the price of admission though. I just don't want to buy anything that is going to hurt performance.

Just some things I thought about while reading these threads.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Injen does make a CAI for the 2nd gen tundra. Googlify it! But yeah, the performance gains are negligible. Maybe 5-10 hp, but you're definitely right about the sound. That makes it worth it, to me. I have the AFE CAI, but that's because I got it for a smoking [email protected] $200 shipped. The only thing wrong with it is the sticker that says AFE is upside down. Big deal. My hood status closed anyway. Lol!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WHat was first year of gen 2?

I just spent a lot of time on the Injen website, then have no listing for a CAI for a Tundra after "06, which I believe was the last year of Gen I. If they did make a model for the Gen II it is no longer listen on their website.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I believe when they test these things it's with the hood up and a fan blowing usually, then they look for the peak number and put that on the box. 17 extra PEAK HP sounds great, but if it's only at 3000 rpm and it's lower or almost zero throughout the rest of the range, how often in normal driving does anybody really see that? I liken it to blowing air through a straw. The air is actually scavenged more easily through a skinny, normal sized straw. IF you make the straw like 5 inches in diameter instead of .1 inch, you now need to blow harder to get the same amount of air through the straw.

All these CAIs usually do a poorer job than the factory system of insulating the incoming air from heat. Then they increase the diameter of the tubing so much that the engine has to be turning really fast to scavenge that air fast enough to make any hp gains.

I had one on my Dakota 4.7 liter V8. The truck seemed to struggle down low a bit more than before, but she pulled noticably harder at 70 mph and a above. Sure did look pretty though. For the Tundra I will only spend the money on the exhaust for the sound.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the information. Interesting how it's not on their site. I like the idea of getting the filter out of the engine compartment but would be a lil worried about the abuse it would take.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I disagree with your illustration. Compare it to you yourself, breathing thru a straw. Since you're using your diaphragm to inhale, much like the engine sucks in it's own air during the intake stroke. It would be easier to suck the air in thru a 5" straw, than a 1" straw. I do agree that blowing a fan into the intake isn't exactly an accurate or honest depiction of the performance of the intakes, unless the were to somehow program the fan to blow the same speed that the wheels/dyno drum are going...

I still hold my stance that the intake growl makes the cost worth it. If anyone disagrees, why would anyone buy an exhaust?

I did pick up .5 to 1.5 mpg, so in a few years, the intake will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have the Injen inside the fender CAI and I like it fine. No low end loss, but the intake is noisy, mainly whistles inside the fender and being that the toyota metal is beer can quality you can hear it quite well inside. Thats the only negative. The kit is very well built and easy to install. As for why Toyota is not represented on the performance market its all due to sales, far less Trucks sold, far less owners that want to mod their trucks= low aftermarket support. And toyota makes it impossible to break the code to tune their engines. You will never run lean on a modern engine running a CAI and all vehicles from the factory are horribly rich.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill,
Interesting feedback, thanks. Why do you think that there is far less Tundra's out there, price, new(er) to the full size truck market?

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Just do the charcoal filter delete and put a high flow K&N filter in place of the OEM.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Compare it to you yourself, breathing thru a straw. Since you're using your diaphragm to inhale, much like the engine sucks in it's own air during the intake stroke. It would be easier to suck the air in thru a 5" straw, than a 1" straw.
I disagree. I could suck air easier through a 1" straw as I cannot open my mouth wide enough to fit the 5" straw in.

·
Registered
480 Posts
my .02 worth...volants are overpriced. everyone i've ever talked to with the afe and injen loved them. I wanted a injen for my titan but got the nismo one as a gift. so no complaint there lol.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
my .02 worth...volants are overpriced. everyone i've ever talked to with the afe and injen loved them. I wanted a injen for my titan but got the nismo one as a gift. so no complaint there lol.
They are all over priced. But love the sound. LOL

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
URD claims that if you want to maximize HP from upgrades like CAI, headers, exhaust ect.
You must tune the AFR with something like the MAF sensor calibrator that they and split second sell. I believe this to be true.
My old X-Runner came stock running rich, and after I bolted on almost every mod that was made for that truck I had it road tuned and it drove like a dream and ran so much more smoother. The truck really came to life.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dyno curves

The 2020 is the "cold air" version.

The 2021 is the version with the filter in the engine compartment.

Couple things I noticed... The numbers look fairly impressive with the model 2020, significant increase in power throughout the rpm range.... BUT, if you look at the baseline numbers on the 2021 test, the baseline numbers are actually a little better than the numbers with the model 2020. I did see that it is actually hotter in the tests done with the CAI.

Not very impressive results if you ask me, at this point it becomes a $300noise maker. I am not sure we really see a significant increase in MPG, if we did why wouldn't the manu's advertise it.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
So why is the TRD CAI not involved in this topic? :X

My Tundra seems to accelerate more smoother, and quicker than with stock intake. With the TRD CAI there is no air restriction, and you won't hear it struggle sucking in air as the stock box did. I especially like it when I hear a " mini " exhaust ype sound from the airbox when I floor it.. :)

Now to the good part. I also installed the TRD True Duals exhaust over the past weekend. I'll let it boggle your minds. The combination of the TRD's makes a huge difference. and the sound is like no other.

·
Registered
484 Posts
So why is the TRD CAI not involved in this topic? :X

My Tundra seems to accelerate more smoother, and quicker than with stock intake. With the TRD CAI there is no air restriction, and you won't hear it struggle sucking in air as the stock box did. I especially like it when I hear a " mini " exhaust ype sound from the airbox when I floor it.. :)

Now to the good part. I also installed the TRD True Duals exhaust over the past weekend. I'll let it boggle your minds. The combination of the TRD's makes a huge difference. and the sound is like no other.

Just curious, how could you hear the oem intake struggling? Gains from an intake are negligible. I can't tell a difference other than extra noise. I have a hard time believing an intake and exhaust make such a huge improvement you can feel it in the seat of your pants.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've installed the TRD cai and can tell NO difference in ANYTHING. Would have been bummed if paid the full retail $, found on CL for a fraction of the cost. The fit and finish is very nice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts