Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

OBD2 Won't Register/Can't Pass Smog!!

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  DaveB702 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if its related, but seems like an awful coincidence... Got a 2010 CrewMax and I did the Zero Point Calibration this morning using a paperclip then went in the afternoon to get a smog
so I could register the truck, they connected it to the machine and it wouldn't register....couldn't make a connection. I have no engine check lights or anything coming on... Truck runs fine....Checked all the fuses and everything. What do you guys think?

#3 · (Edited)
Holy shit i had this same thing happen to me. Here is what i found out had happened the last idiot that plugged in the techstream at the dealership to enable the factory alarm on mine must have either pushed the connector in too hard or pulled it out too hard. I had two pins that were visibily bent which was preventing the smog machine to read. I bent the pins back as best i could to get the smog machine to connect and it worked. First thing is first tho get a multi meter and make sure your OBD2 is getting data from the wires if it is then you prob have a f'd up pin like I did. Examine all your pins and make sure there ok, if your pins are fine checj the fuse for the OBD2 under the kick panel is that's fine, hit up OBD2 Connector J1962 - OBD-II Connectors: Car Plug they sell female connectors and spare pins because trust me when i went to the dealership they were fckin clueless and gave me the deer in the headlights look, and told me there was no replacement pins, i laughed in there face because OBD2 plugs and pins are standard on all cars and trucks from I believe 97 and up only difference is the configuration of where the pins go in the connector and the wires that deliver data.

#4 ·
yeah, fuse is good... I could have a couple bent pins in there. ordered a new plug just in case. thanks for the link... Might try and get another smog tomorrow. Oh, One of ur buddies left a LAS VEGAS TUNDRAS card on my truck while it was parked at work... I'll look it up on facebook...

#5 ·
sounds good bro, ya i couldnt for the life of me figure out why i couldnt pass smog then for shits and giggles looked at the connector and saw two pins were f'd up messed with em enough to get them to work hurried up got a smog check then did like you did and ordered a new plug and pins

#7 ·
exactly all these obd2 plugs and pins are all the same thats what i'm gonna do when my new connector comes in. I was pushin it tho cause my registration expired 1 June and finally got it to pass smog on the 31st

#8 ·
Nice! Yeah, I still have the Cali plate on my truck from when I bought it. Need to get it switched over...running out of time..
I'm 100% positive I didn't jump the wrong wires, but if for some reason it happened,
could I have shorted out something...but I would have a check engine light come on, right?

#9 ·
Best thing to do is take a multimeter and check the wires themself and see if there sending and recieving data that will let you know if you wires are gtg. If nothing comes up on the multimeter then you have bigger issues.

#11 ·
i'd say you prob just have a pin or pins that arent fully making contact when they plug it in. do you have an OBD2 tester or anything you plug it into? because if it connects with that then it should connect with the smog machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.