Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

2007 SR5, 2WD, 5.7L Long box.

Short Version: Can a bad OBD2 port or bad OBD2 insurance fob cause codes and flashing ABS/VSC/Skid lights?

Long Version:
I've been chasing this gremlin for a while. VSC, Skid, and ABS are on (most of the time) with codes u0126 and u0073 and occasional speedometer fluctuations while driving.

Based on my research, this would have indicated a problem with a speed sensor, but something odd happened today. For a few days now, the lights have been off, and I had full ABS and traction control. I thought perhaps that it was due to a cold snap that tightened up a bad connection.

HOWEVER, while driving today, I remembered that I hadn't had my OBD2 insurance tracker fob plugged in (the one that supposedly will give you a discounted rate after a period of safe driving - no sudden stops/starts etc.). The instant I plugged it in, the ABS/VSC/SKID lights came on and those features don't function anymore. Unplugging the fob didn't turn them off.

Note that my OBD2 port isn't super healthy to start. When I use a code reader, I have to push sideways on it and hold for the reader to get a connection to the vehicle computer. I think there's a bad wire or connection in it.

Could a bad connection in the OBD2 be the problem?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Those readers supposedly measure slip, yaw, tire spin, sliding, braking hard, etc...

It is possible that it is actually trying to make you fail at driving as safe as possible.

Reactions: restosud

·
Registered
808 Posts
When my insurance company mentioned that installing one of those fobs would (possibly) lower my rates, I just laughed. Later it occurred to me that maybe I should get one, then only use it when in 4-low and wait to see if there was a response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.