Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
About a year ago I had inquired about getting a leveling kit and bigger tires for my 4.0L 2wd. The owner of the shop told me I could not go too thick on my tires because it would be too stressful on the truck.

I am looking to pull the trigger finally and give my truck a new setup, but I want to first find out for sure if what he said was true. If so what would my limitations be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
512 Posts
The shop owner was full of shit.. Think about it.. Old Toyota 2wd and 4wd in the 80's with 2.7l engines lifted and running 33's and 35's. You didn't specify your current tire size or what you want. Basically, all you need to do is change out the gears in the melon if you're going a lot bigger. Usually within an 1" or 2 bigger its not going to affect your truck too much unless it came with like 3.07 or 3.55.. So, if you could tell me your current tire height and what you want, that would be fabulistic...

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
It won't effect an empty truck like those old trucks are except acceleration. And braking. It does effect carrying and towing a load. So if you have a truck for looks then adding oversized tires for looks is fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop owner was full of shit.. Think about it.. Old Toyota 2wd and 4wd in the 80's with 2.7l engines lifted and running 33's and 35's. You didn't specify your current tire size or what you want. Basically, all you need to do is change out the gears in the melon if you're going a lot bigger. Usually within an 1" or 2 bigger its not going to affect your truck too much unless it came with like 3.07 or 3.55.. So, if you could tell me your current tire height and what you want, that would be fabulistic...
Thanks for the reply. The tires I plan on running are the BFG AT 275-70-18's. I don't know much about tires sizes yet so please let me know if you think these are too big.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It won't effect an empty truck like those old trucks are except acceleration. And braking. It does effect carrying and towing a load. So if you have a truck for looks then adding oversized tires for looks is fine.
Thanks for the reply. I do not do any towing, but maybe the occasional moving of furniture lol.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Those are just in the 33" range....you'll be fine.
It's not like you're wanting to run 37's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts