Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought RW wheels and 35x12.5x17 KO2s. I've been saving for my lift so I can put the new wheels/tires on, but got antsy. I put all four on this morning and low and behold...they only rub the skid plate at full lock while moving forward...and just barely.

Do you guys think I can just get an alignment done, bend the skid plate and leave the tires on? Then, when I get the OME 612 lift I'll do another alignment.

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
Just to be on the safe side I would trim the skid plate and then back down your driveway and crank your tires and you're passing through the curb/gutter, The factory coils are soft and will really flex when driving through uneven surfaces. Go VERY Slow :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just put 35s on my truck and they cleared the cab mount by about 1/4 inch. I didn't try but as soon as I hit a bump it would have hit. You need to make sure it will clear as the suspension works. This is with a 3/2 leveling kit.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok...trimmed 1" off each side of the skid plate with my Dremel. There is now about 1" of clearance between the tire and the skid plate. I turned the wheels all the way right and left while going up and down the driveway in forward and reverse facing downhill and uphill with wheel at full lock at the driveway/gutter junction. Skid plate is clear, but slight rub on mud flaps...took flaps off, now good everywhere. Anything else I should check?

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Ditch them quick. Will look much better without...

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Awesome looking truck by the way. Jealous, I had to run a 3" coilover lift and still ran into some rub with my 35s.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I am surprised. That's a lot of rubber in that wheel well though.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ditch them quick. Will look much better without...
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for nudging me in the right direction.

Awesome looking truck by the way. Jealous, I had to run a 3" coilover lift and still ran into some rub with my 35s.
Thanks. The wheel rings are being cerakoted dark grey right now...can't wait to see how they look. I'm hoping that the color is between the wheel grey and the black tire.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Truck looks awesome sitting stock hight on 35's. Thats how they should come from the factory! I think the only reason it works is because the rock warrior wheels have so much offset. Everything is nice and tucked in to avoid rubbing. While your testing in the driveway seems sufficient for onroad use id like to see how they fit when being flexed out off road. I was considering trying 34" ko2s on my stock truck before I decided on a tall 33".

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have some rock warrior wheels on and wanted to copy you and go with the 35s in ko2. I'm currently running 295/70/17 trail grapplers and they barely clear the uca. Are you rubbing at all? Thanks

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have some rock warrior wheels on and wanted to copy you and go with the 35s in ko2. I'm currently running 295/70/17 trail grapplers and they barely clear the uca. Are you rubbing at all? Thanks
I will check again tomorrow, but as far as I can tell, no rubbing anywhere after trimming skid plate and removing mud flaps.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
have you stuck your hand between the uca and tire? I cannot believe they are not rubbing, that is why most guys have to use a spacer.

I just put 285/75/18's on with fox 2.5's and 1.25 spacers and they were rubbing the front and back mud flaps. It must be just perfect with those wheels.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
have you stuck your hand between the uca and tire? I cannot believe they are not rubbing, that is why most guys have to use a spacer.

I just put 285/75/18's on with fox 2.5's and 1.25 spacers and they were rubbing the front and back mud flaps. It must be just perfect with those wheels.
I just checked everything again because you guys all have me paranoid, LOL...I have at least 3/4" clearance between the tire and the UCA...no rubbing anywhere else that I can tell. I'm guessing I'm just lucky.

Also, your tires are 34.83" while mine are technically 34.5"...maybe that's the difference.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some photos of the various clearances. Some are close, but they still clear.

Inside front passenger tire (UCA/spindle clearance). Photo taken from front.

Inside front driver tire (UCA/spindle clearance). Photo taken from front.

Inside front driver tire (UCA/spindle clearance). Photo taken from behind.

Body mount clearance (with tire turned to least amount of clearance):

·
Registered
877 Posts
I thought alignments were needed for suspension changes, not for wheel/tire changes.

The wheel/tire combo looks good. If the tires fit, why even bother with a lift when the additional ground clearance comes from the tires?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought alignments were needed for suspension changes, not for wheel/tire changes.

The wheel/tire combo looks good. If the tires fit, why even bother with a lift when the additional ground clearance comes from the tires?
Yes. You are correct about not needing an alignment unless the suspension is changed. I didn't know that until after I paid for the alignment. Where were you before?...LOL! ;)

I need to lift it to do any off-roading. The front tires are too close (for my comfort) to the top of the fender. I'd be nervous going over any large bumps.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts