Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Paul, from Downeast Maine, near Bar Harbor.

I'm 62, retired from the Navy, just retired period last October.

After years of Chevy/GMC and Dodge trucks, took a hint from my great experiences with Toyota cars and bought a new '13 Tundra Doublecab 5.7

I'm LOVING this truck.

I have a small hobby farm, and use a truck as a truck. I tow an 18 foot double axle trailer with a tractor and various attachments, or a couple of tons of hay or a load of sheep going to market. Point being, my trucks WORK for a living.

My last one was an '07 GMC K2500 with the 6.0 Towed all right, but the rust moths were getting to it and I decided to trade while it had some value.

I was leery of towing with a half ton, and leery of the mileage I'd get from a 5.7

Needlessly on both counts. The Tundra will tow anything that GMC would and do it with more comfort and better handling.

I'm on an extended road trip at the moment and have gotten a best of 19.4 MPG doing 65-ish on the interstates. Drops to 14 on hard tows, but that's still better than the GMC. Only mod is an Xtang soft tonneau. (A subject for a whole separate rant one day).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Welcome aboard Paul.. You'll enjoy this forum, and you'll love your Tundra.. Toyota over builds these trucks, they are a tad bit away from being a 3/4ton truck... keep an eye on the meet-an-greet section and the New England tundra club in the club section... we try and put together meet an greets so fellow members can meet and get to know each other...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Welcome, Paul. Enjoy your new truck like we all do ours. I am very familiar with Downeast Maine. We spend time in Millbridge every year in a friends house on RT. 1

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome from Upstate NY, glad to hear you're enjoying the truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome from central Maine. I just bought a 2013 DC Rock Warrior and love it.

I was always a GM owner (as well as my whole family), except for one Dodge, and after one week of owning the tundra I don't plan on going back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome, Paul. Enjoy your new truck like we all do ours. I am very familiar with Downeast Maine. We spend time in Millbridge every year in a friends house on RT. 1
About 15 miles from my house. I'm in Gouldsboro.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Welcome from Seabrook NH. I know Maine well, My office is in Portland and I sell all over Maine.

Good luck out there!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back to Maine after an 11 day, 3200 mile road trip. Went to Michigan (family reunion) via NH, MA, NY, PA, OH, IN and return.

The Tundra gave me a best of 20 MPG even (actual calculation from fillup, no mileage computer on board) and a worst of 16 MPG.

She seems to have a sweet spot around 62-65 MPH.

I was pleased with the handling and comfort (my car is a Corolla...efficient, but not strong on creature comforts) and very pleasantly surprised by the mileage.

The one time I had to stick my foot in it, my grandson (15) looked over at me with a big grin and said "Cool!"

I don't think I'll be loaning it to him when he gets his driver's license...:eek::D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts