Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I just came from a 2011 Nissan Titan with the towing package that included a transmission temperature guage. I grew accustomed to keeping my revs up to keep the guage in the acceptable range while towing. I was surprised to see that my 2017 Tundra Limited has no tranny temp guage at all, and I was wondering how this is possible? Is The Tundra transmission so durable that a guage is not necessary? :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Hi all
I just came from a 2011 Nissan Titan with the towing package that included a transmission temperature guage. I grew accustomed to keeping my revs up to keep the guage in the acceptable range while towing. I was surprised to see that my 2017 Tundra Limited has no tranny temp guage at all, and I was wondering how this is possible? Is The Tundra transmission so durable that a guage is not necessary? :eek:
They had them I think until the redesign in 14, worthless IMO though since it always just say in the middle and told you nothing. I'd imagine if you had an issue the gauge would just jump to the right then you'd break down. You should be able to monitor it with Android torque if you really want to though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They had them I think until the redesign in 14, worthless IMO though since it always just say in the middle and told you nothing. I'd imagine if you had an issue the gauge would just jump to the right then you'd break down. You should be able to monitor it with Android torque if you really want to though.
So if I just tow in 4th (tow mode) and downshift when going up steep grades, it shouldn't be a problem? BTW, my Tundra tows our 6000 lb (dry) trailer MUCH better than my Titan ever did...that 4:30 gear ratio is way more reassuring than 3:36!

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I noticed I didn't have a gauge when I bought my 2017, but it really doesn't bother me.

There is still a trans temp warning light that will come on if it gets too hot.

The gauge was really inaccurate from what people had said and barely moved even if the trans changed by 20-30 degrees hotter than normal.

Reactions: Thumperpaul

·
Registered
500 Posts
Going by memory (which is failing!) I find my ATF temp gauge reading in the middle over a significant temp range...160-210ish?

So, I agree...the OEM analog gauge is a joke...it has no real purpose.

Instead use OBD2 apps like OBD Fusion (and pay for the Toyota sensor package) to accurately monitor ATF temps and much more.

That said...in the hard life I put my 5.7L engine and trans thru...monitoring ATF temps has proven almost worthless. There is nearly nothing to worry about as long as you do NOT assume you know more than Toyota engineers and allow systems to work as designed.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I pulled 7100lbs of TT thru parts Arizona, Cali and Nevada during an extreme hot streak.

Death Valley's west wide mountains (which have a 30ft semi trailer restriction) might have been the hardest due to the slow speed and extreme temp combined.

This was around 4pm, peak temp was 123 this day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled 7100lbs of TT thru parts Arizona, Cali and Nevada during an extreme hot streak.

Death Valley's west wide mountains (which have a 30ft semi trailer restriction) might have been the hardest due to the slow speed and extreme temp combined.

This was around 4pm, peak temp was 123 this day.

Nice Grand Design, Rincon! We are picking up our Imagine 2500 RL tomorrow, can't wait to take it out next week for ( Canadian) Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
164 Posts
It sounds like plenty of people are ok with not having a gauge. Has anyone had the trans temp light come on for them? If so then what was the weight and grade?
Never had the warning light come on, but the ATF temperature gauge begins to move when the fluid in the pan is above 240F on my truck. That is during low speed hill climbing (8-10% grade), not towing anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife has done a fair amount of towing with her Tundra with a total combined weight of right at 13,000#'s. Never had a problem whatsoever. Never had a tranny temp. gauge on any of our vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No tranny temp gauge

I'll have to say that I was wondering why there was no temp gauge for the trans in my new truck. With all the towing I have done through the Smokey mountains with 9000+ pounds during the summer, I have never seen my temp gauge show anything than what it usually displays when not towing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wished my '14 had a Trans temp gauge, so finally did something about it this week. Just setup my new ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adaptor and the Torque App. Used two custom transmission temperature PIDs for pan and converter temps, and setup a dashboard with all of the temperature gauges in one view (trans x 2, coolant, oil and cats x 4). Total investment $23.99, phone or tablet not included. Will be towing once more this year in a week or so, 6000lbs. Can't wait to compare the towing numbers with the unloaded numbers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.