Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a rear view license-plate camera I've had electrical issues. I've isolated the issues to the fact that two in-cabin fuses are apparently not receiving power - fuse #15 (LH-IG 7.5A) and #20 (TAIL 15A). Research shows me that both fuses are powered by the "TAIL Relay" (30A) in the fusebox under the hood.

When I first checked the Relay and it's 30A fuse, I found that the fuse was blown. I replaced it with the spare 30A fuse that was in the box.

My last test was to disconnect the power plug and video plug from the camera. I also disconnected the aftermarket radio's tap-connection to a wire from a harness on the passenger side for the reverse sensor.

Even with all of these disconnected I am still not receiving power at fuses 15 and 20... I don't know what else to check - I just don't think it's really between the relay and the inner fuse box.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

-Kevin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
After you replaced the fuse, you confirmed it didn't blow again right? I would go in this order..

You said you unplugged the backup camera, leave it unplugged..

1. check both sides of the 30A, make sure you have 12 volts on both sides
2. confirm relay is good, not sure if there is another one you can swap in to try (only if its from the power window or something, nothing crucial to the running of the truck)

Your problem has to be somewhere right there.. The fact that you have no power at two different fuses that get their power from that one fuse under the hood, points to that..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked the contacts for everything I added - then went the extra step of disconnecting them... just not sure of the best way to continue troubleshooting. Trying to avoid spending $XXX because I added a $45 tail-light camera and connected it to my head-unit.

The one 'bad' thing I did was that I spliced the ground for the camera power into the negative wire from the left-rear reverse light... I know I should have just drilled a new ground for that wire... but even after unplugging the power connector from the camera lead - I still have the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@2k14TundraSR5 - I will check the voltage on both sides of the 30A fuse in the morning, I'm pretty sure I did after I changed it - but not 100% sure. I did check it today to make sure it was not blown, and it isn't. I did already swap the relay with another one of the same size - but situation is the same... nothing new went down.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
What kind of splice did you do? If the fuse and relay check out under the hood fine, and both fuses in the cab are good, I would return the wiring portion back to stock.. Especially the tail light area..

Thats when I would test everything.. Make sure its all working good..

Thats what I would do anyways..

I've checked the contacts for everything I added - then went the extra step of disconnecting them... just not sure of the best way to continue troubleshooting. Trying to avoid spending $XXX because I added a $45 tail-light camera and connected it to my head-unit.

The one 'bad' thing I did was that I spliced the ground for the camera power into the negative wire from the left-rear reverse light... I know I should have just drilled a new ground for that wire... but even after unplugging the power connector from the camera lead - I still have the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just disconnected the camera power/ground from the left rear reverse tail-light - no fuses are blown - but still not power to fuses 15 or 20....

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
So I just disconnected the camera power/ground from the left rear reverse tail-light - no fuses are blown - but still not power to fuses 15 or 20....
do you have the full wiring diagram? I was trying to find one last night but came up empty....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts