Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bring my tundra in for the first service at 4700 miles and the guy is checking me in and tells me "Tundras run full synthetic so no oil change this trip just tire rotation and fluid top off". I call bullshit, is this common? I know new vehicles have a break in period and the oil should be changed within that period.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Toyota does say 10K and nothing special about the first one.

By 10K, I was on my third oil and with the amout of metals in the second oil, I was glad i
I was. I sent mine to Blackstone Labs for analysis. 35.00

·
Registered
408 Posts
think of it as a "learning experience" It's not hard

·
Registered
409 Posts
Makes little sense but if its a 5.7 4x4 it gets syn every 5k if its 2wd every 10k all 4.6 and 4.0 are every 10 drivetrain doesnt matter. Dont bitch its free service toyota gives u, if u are adament about it (i would be) they can redeam ur 10k service early but on 10k interval trucks u only get 2 10k services with toy care. Or u could just pay to have it done early.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The general rule is that if you have 5w-20 and your vehicle is pre 2012 you are a 5k interval. If you are 2012+ with a 0w-20, you are a 10k interval, the only exception is flex fuel as I stated before

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thats weird, my Toyota Dealer scheduled the first oil change @ 5,000 miles which they'll be doing in about 400 miles.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That's the diff then I'm in the south east zone and we only have flex fuel, even though nobody sells it anywhere around.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm at about 9,500 and got my Blackstone kit in the mail yesterday. 1st oil change will be soon and I plan to send in a sample for an UOA..stay tuned.

BTW I was a bit apprehensive at first about the 10k OCI but when I really think about it I figure it's a Toyota and it would take a serious amount of abuse to cause that motor to not outlive the rest of the truck!

I bet it will go 200K without a hitch even with the 10K OCI.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to see. I pulled my dipstick when I get home and the oil still looks new so no worries for now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I picked up my 2013 CM 4x4 5.7 FFV asked about that 5000 mile change. At first the service tech thought that was true. Then he made a call after getting my VIN and came back saying it was 10000 miles.

I'll probably change myself before the 5000 since its a new motor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 DC 4x4 with the flex fuel and 5.7 engine. They told me every 5,000 miles, I read the manual, it says 5,000 miles and it runs synthetic oil also. I have heard some that get 10,000 and some 5,000. I did check my oil with the dipstick a week later and it looked very clean to me. I know a guy that has a 2011 4x2 4.7, they told him 10,000 miles.
I really do not know what to think on the oil change thing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts