Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've talked about this before, and so have several others, but I don't remember seeing any videos, so I figured WTH.

You can use any glass bottle you want. I wouldn't try a plastic bottle, might melt right through. The oil in the glass might be a little hot, so wear gloves ;)

No Mess 2007 5.7 Tundra Oil Filter Housing Drain - YouTube

·
Registered
357 Posts
where did you get that metal housing?

·
Registered
367 Posts
But you have to hold the hot bottle.

A short piece of 5/8" garden hose fits right over the white plastic drain device. The hose can be cut to length to end right at the oil pan. It can be used in a high wind and not spill a drop.

Plus, you can go about other tasks, like taking out the drain plug, while the filter is draining.

Here is the deal on the wrench + Venza filter. The guy is a member over on TS.

Toyota Lexus Scion Special Oil Filter Wrench Tool V6 V8 Filter Cap 15620 31060 | eBay

Reactions: Ironmanjay

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
But you have to hold the hot bottle.

A short piece of 5/8" garden hose fits right over the white plastic drain device. The hose can be cut to length to end right at the oil pan. It can be used in a high wind and not spill a drop.

Plus, you can go about other tasks, like taking out the drain plug, while the filter is draining.

Here is the deal on the wrench + Venza filter. The guy is a member over on TS.

Toyota Lexus Scion Special Oil Filter Wrench Tool V6 V8 Filter Cap 15620 31060 | eBay
Let her cool down mang. I like his way as you can just cap the bottle and chuck it in the canal. No pouring from pan into another container. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I have done both the bottle and the tube methods and each works very well. I will probably stick to the tube because I mostly drink beer and seldom have a large enough bottle to use though.

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
Cool idea. Amazed that the video was that steady after emptying the bottle.

Being video editor, though, video shot vertically just drives me nuts. But, after seeing that you had to drain an entire bottle of vodka for the sake of the video, I respect that. Vertical video sin forgiven.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
jus jammer up in air :D
This literally made me LOL....and I'm trying to be quiet since it's almost 4am and I can't sleep since getting back from Korea and trying to readjust.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would be more worried about dropping the glass bottle and then having glass shards to clean up.

I just use a piece of tubing and drain to the catch pan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Dear Mr. Bad Dad's Tundra,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to create helpful videos that may assist the TundraTalk.net community. Oil changes on the Toyota Tundra vehicle can be difficult and it is reassuring to know that gentlemen like yourself are here to help those of us who are a bit slow witted. Truth be told, I really have very little business changing my own oil; it is probably a task best left for the extraordinary Toyota technicians, however, at your urging I decided to tackle the oil change on my own.

Things started off extremely well. I parked my Toyota Tundra in the road with the front tires on the curb to allow me some extra room under the truck as I do not currently own a floor jack and I am quite robust. Unfortunately, things went downhill quickly from there. While waiting for the oil to drain from my Toyota Tundra, I became very nervous about the large glass vodka bottle (which I had to drink prior to performing the oil change in order to have a bottle) breaking on the road, therefore, I shoved the bottle up my ass for safe keeping.

I must have fallen asleep at some point, I don't really know for sure, but I awoke to screaming. Upon my return to reality I noticed my sixteen year old female neighbor standing near my Toyota Tundra screaming and pointing at me. I figured she was taken aback by the fact that I was naked, however, upon closer examination I realized she was screaming because of the large puddle of blood I was laying in. At some point during my slumber, I must have really 'gone to town' with that vodka bottle and it broke off in my ass and cut me up pretty good. In addition, there were shards of glass all under the Toyota Tundra.

After spending six days in the hospital, the stitches in my bunghole finally healed up enough for me to be fit for release to the local jail. It was during my five day stay at the jail when I had time to reflect on your instructions for changing the oil on my Toyota Tundra. Due to the incident I encountered with the vodka bottle I am afraid that I am unable to endorse your methods due to safety concerns.

Regards,

2010CrewMaxTRD

p.s.

Perhaps one could utilize some sort of tubing in place of the glass bottle?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
My apologies, it seems that I conveyed the message that the tubing was to somehow be used for the changing of the oil. I will never again attempt to change the oil since I am forbidden to do so now by the court, however, my point was that it is much safer to stick the tubing in my ass rather than the vodka bottle.

Kind regards,

2010CrewMaxTRD

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 45 Posts