Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys , Ive got a bone stock 4x4 DC and I need a new set of mud grips . Right now Im running a set of 265/70/18 ( I think that the stock size ) Cooper Discoverer STT's with 35,000 miles on them and I need a new set of something else . These tires were a good tire but I didn't get the mileage out of them that I think I should've and Im not an aggressive driver at all ( 35k sucks ) . My questions are

1. What is a good mud grip in the stock size to put on my truck ?

2. If I wanted to go up maybe one size what is the next size up and how much bigger are they ?

3. What size tire would yall recommend putting on a stock Tundra that wouldn't change my MPG much and would still be able to tow with out any issue's ( I tow something every weekend ) ?

4. Ive been running a 6 ply ( C range ) but most of the tires Ive been looking at are a 10 ply ( E range ) . How much difference is there in the ride and handling of a C versus an E range tire ?

Thanks for the help guys !

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Nitto Trail Grapplers in 275/70/18's they will ride a bit stiffer than you C-rated tires but you should be able to get more mileage out of them and they look bad azz.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry , that's the Terra Grapplers I was thinking about . Does anyone know ho the Terra Grapplers AND the Trail Grapplers perform in the mud ? Id like to think I could get buy with a set of all terrains , but Im pretty sure that I couldn't . I put the Tundra threw the paces pretty good during hunting season and am really afraid of buying an all terrain , I would be pissed the first time I got stuck .

·
Registered
455 Posts
Idk about mud but bfg ko in a 10 ply at 33" worked great for me and have lasted 60k so far. I think it's a 275/65/18 but I would have to ck. it's just a hair bigger than stock

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
168 Posts
BFG's will last but in mud it's a no go

·
Registered
507 Posts
Nitto trail grappler MT's will last you 60k and are a great tire.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nitto trail grappler MT's will last you 60k and are a great tire.
60,000mi from a MT? That's amazing! anyone else getting that kindof mileage on these?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know where a picture is of a stock height and stock off set with a set of 275/70/18 on it ? If it had a set of Trail Grapplers on it that would be a plus . I just wanna make sure it looks OK and that the tires aren't to big and make the fender wells look stuffed with the tire . Theres plenty of pics out there with leveling kits and 275/70/18 , but I cant find one with a stock height .

·
Registered
507 Posts
Keep them rotated and aired up properly and they will last you the 60k, and they are absolutely great in the mud. I met a guy at discount the other day who had 45k miles on his and they still had great tread, I have about 20k on mine and they look brand new.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
They look a lil big to me , but I cant really see the difference in the tire and fender well on the front end .
You are making this way more complicated than it should be man. Stock tires are too small. If you don't want to lift your truck then you should go with the 275/70/18 as they will fit with no rubbing and they look much better than stock size. If you go smaller you will eventually regret it. Here is a straight on shot when she was still at the dealer (same tires).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are very right , I blow chit up that Im gonna buy on the net cuz I cant put my hands on it in person . If this is the best tire size for my rig I guess I the real question is whats the best mud grip to buy and wheres the cheapest place to get it . Im liking those trail grapplers and Ive been to a few places and checked the price . Does anyone have any recomendations on the best and cheapest place to buy the Nitto Trail Grapplers ? Ive been to discount and Tire rack doesn't carry the Terra Grappler in that size .

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
look them up on TireBuyer.com, add them to your cart then apply coupon code RETAILMENOT10 for a 10% discount...take that to your local Discount Tire and they will match/beat that price.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
look them up on TireBuyer.com, add them to your cart then apply coupon code RETAILMENOT10 for a 10% discount...take that to your local Discount Tire and they will match/beat that price.
Thank you ! Them SOBs are $324 at discount on the net , that's crazy expensive for a tire . But hell , even the cheaper mud grips aint tha much cheaper than that , might as well get the one I want .

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I got my 295/70/18 thru tundra stop.com. Rich is the man. Give him a call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts