Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tundra bros,

Currently own a 2015 DC, 5.7. Just got new rims and now I am starting to get the new tire bug (probably a next year purchase). I do no towing (occasional full bed of mulch) and get on some dirt roads for fishing trips in the mountains just a handful of times a year. I drive 60-70 miles daily so I am staying with 275-76-18 SL/XL rated tires to keep the weight down. Also looking for an aggressive looking tire. I am torn between the Nitto Ridge Grappler, Falken Wildpeak AT3WA and Hankook Dynapro RF10. I wish there was an American made option that fits my needs but it doesn't look like it. I considered the SL rated Duratrac but sounds like guys have had balancing issues and lost mpg. I also considered the Cooper AT3 4S but it doesn't look aggressive enough.

Let me know what you guys think on these choices (good, bad and ugly).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put on the Wildpeaks and have had no issues. Only about 7K miles now but no change in MPG. Will be taking it to Wyoming from PA in the next month so should get to see some mud and snow. As of now I would buy them again and they do look good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try the Cooper STT Pro. Very aggressive tread, they are a little loud though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ridge Grap is a fine tire BUT has NO snow rating . I see you are in Pa.
Interesting enough, most reviews on this forum say they are pretty good in the snow........I am struggling a little bit to figure out which of these have the severe snow service rating. Looks like the Falken and the Duratracs do.

Try the Cooper STT Pro. Very aggressive tread, they are a little loud though.

This looks like a nice set of tired but are too heavy (E rating) and would impact my mpg.

My nitto ridge grapplers are made in the USA. Not sure if they all are though.

These are currently at the top of my list for looks but I have some concerns with snow and don't love the fact that they are one of the only tires without a warranty.

If I was okay with dropping mpg I would chose this tire but I don't really need an "E" rated tire. Just looking for an aggressive but pavement friendly P/XL rated tire that is pretty light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have those Nitto trail grapplers and they are awesome. Great tires and aggressive looking. Not too noisy 35/20/12.5 on my second set 2011 CM 4x4 4.6 155k miles now !! Love em I highly recommend these tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tires vary in terms of wet and snow and dirt performance and with softer rubber there may be more grip but they can wear out faster.

Off-road use takes priority for me as I do not want to have sidewall damage from rocks as then the tire is no longer usable and I have to abort or take a chance of continuing when I now longer have a spare tire.

In the past the Wranglers were a very good all purpose light truck tire but they have changed over the years. I have been running the Nitto Terra Grappler tires for the past 6 years and they will last for 50,000 miles and that includes many miles with up to 2-ton loads in the bed.

The tire manufacturers' websites and places like Americastire.com provide reviews by owners as to the performance and wear of the tires and I find this very useful in selecting a tire. The Michelin LT are well regarded by RVer's but on the other hand a neighbor has to drive down a long gravel road to the main highway and the tires would pick up gravel and then sling them up against the sides of the truck the first few miles on the pavement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the Hankook Dynapro on 2015 Crewmax 5.7L now with about 45k miles on them, about 4-5/32 left. They are decent. They are quiet, ride great. I have had a little side wall shake from the start so I have to run them a little higher pressure to make them smooth on the highway. It could probably be balanced out with a road force balance. I really like the Michelin tires. I have had several and they are simply excellent. Quiet, smooth, stay balanced, wear excellent. I have had terrible luck with Cooper (shake, poor wear), General (shake, terrible wear, don't stay round), Goodyear (wear too fast).

I put a lot of miles on and have gone through a lot of tires. Michelin is the one I have never had a problem with. Firestone's have also been excellent. BF Goodrich have been very good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have those Nitto trail grapplers and they are awesome. Great tires and aggressive looking. Not too noisy 35/20/12.5 on my second set 2011 CM 4x4 4.6 155k miles now !! Love em I highly recommend these tires.

[/QUOTE]

These were at one point my top pic but I have read some negative reviews for snow performance. Any experience in the snow?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cooper ST Maxx or AT3’sCoopers are great.
What kind of AT3's? I am also considering moving up to a 275-70R18 AT3 XLT after I level with 5100 Bilstein (middle setting). I am worried what this will do to my mpg but love the look of the tires and seems like they have great reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tundra bros,

Currently own a 2015 DC, 5.7. Just got new rims and now I am starting to get the new tire bug (probably a next year purchase). I do no towing (occasional full bed of mulch) and get on some dirt roads for fishing trips in the mountains just a handful of times a year. I drive 60-70 miles daily so I am staying with 275-76-18 SL/XL rated tires to keep the weight down. Also looking for an aggressive looking tire. I am torn between the Nitto Ridge Grappler, Falken Wildpeak AT3WA and Hankook Dynapro RF10. I wish there was an American made option that fits my needs but it doesn't look like it. I considered the SL rated Duratrac but sounds like guys have had balancing issues and lost mpg. I also considered the Cooper AT3 4S but it doesn't look aggressive enough.

Let me know what you guys think on these choices (good, bad and ugly).
Dont know about the ridge grappler but I love my terra grapplers. Personally I’d stick with Nitto.

·
Registered
777 Posts

These were at one point my top pic but I have read some negative reviews for snow performance. Any experience in the snow?[/QUOTE]

With large blocks and almost no siping ............. Great for Deep snow , but for reg snow events on the road and ESP hard pack snow they are dangerous.
I ran those on my plow truck , great/ fantastic as long as i had the 500# plow on and 1/2 skid of salt in the bed . But without weight in the bed and no plow ... woooowzer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have the ridge grapplers and they are amazing. bout to find out bow they hold up in snow this winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cooper ST Maxx or AT3’sCoopers are great.
What kind of AT3's? I am also considering moving up to a 275-70R18 AT3 XLT after I level with 5100 Bilstein (middle setting). I am worried what this will do to my mpg but love the look of the tires and seems like they have great reviews.
I had the 295/70/18 ST-MAXX’s on stock suspension. Just cut 1/2” off the corners of the skid plate and never had a rub. They fit, looked great. They held up extremely well, quiet and did well in all conditions. FWIW, the guy at Discount Tire that had to order those tires told me his brother does mountain top antenna work, and said that tire was the best, longest lasting tire he’d ever used.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the Nitto's on my 2012. I could never keep them balanced. I ran 3 sets over several years, same results. I went Toyo's on my 2016 and won't ever go back to Nitto's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts