Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are not great tires, at all.

They perform terribly in snow, are too loud to bear and suck gas like a fat girl at a buffet (about 6MPG).

Now, I expected the loudness and the bad gas mileage, but not to that extreme. I could live with it, but the piss poor performance in the snow made me take them off.

They're now for sale.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
6 mpg? :eek: What was your mpg before? How does it perform in snow in comparison to, for instance, stock BFG rugged trail?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6 mpg? :eek: What was your mpg before? How does it perform in snow in comparison to, for instance, stock BFG rugged trail?

About 18.

Never had those, but it didn't hold a candle to my bald AT tires that my Subaru ran just prior.

·
Retired
10,869 Posts
I am not sure what you were expecting from a mud terrain tire, did you do any research before buying them? The Trail Grappler is an excellent tire but it is a mud terrain and it is designed for mud, rocks and sand. It is not designed to perform well in snow or ice, it will be much louder than an all terrain tire and, while 6 mpg seems excessive, you will lose considerable gas mileage. If it was not the tire for you then so be it but I don't think you should be blaming the tire, rather, you should be blaming yourself for picking a tire that is designed for the exact opposite of what you are looking for in a tire.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Somethings wrong brother, I'm running grapplers and dont have that issue with MPG... mines at least 11 MPG. Snow... not sure, I'm in west TX.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Granted they are less aggressive but I run Nitto Terra Grapplers and they are whisper quiet and I get 14-15 MPG in town. Considerably bigger than stock so I expected to lose MPG. 285/55-20 Love em. Can't speak for snow here in North Florida.

Forgot to add they are MUCH quieter and smoother than the BFG ATA's I had before.

·
Retired
10,869 Posts
Also, unless you are running a hypertech recalibrater then assuming your truck came with 275/55/20 tires then your mph/mpg with 305/55/20 is off by almost 4.1%

·
Retired
10,869 Posts
Granted they are less aggressive but I run Nitto Terra Grapplers and they are whisper quiet and I get 14-15 MPG in town. Considerably bigger than stock so I expected to lose MPG. 285/55-20 Love em. Can't speak for snow here in North Florida.

Forgot to add they are MUCH quieter and smoother than the BFG ATA's I had before.
Agreed, the Terra Grapplers are a great tire with little noise and tolerable drops in mileage and since they are an all terrain they would perform better in snow than the trail grappler. I also get 14-15 mpg in town.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I need the hypertech... I also was wanting to run the Terra's 90% of the time and put the trails on when I was going to need them... but I have yet to have the cash for all that :D

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I dont think u are comparing apples to apples..when you say "compared to the tires on ur old Subaru"?
I currently have BFG AT's on my 4runner.. 2nd set and they are loud..not screaming loud but you def hear them on the highway..
Most everything Ive read posted by TrailGrappler owners has been positive, with the usual expectations of lower MPG's..
I went with a bigger size tire,,the Toyo MT on my Tundra and I only lost 2mpg's...
I dont have any issues with the noise levels, bc I absolutely expected them to be louder then the stock goodyear LS2's they replaced..
The Toyo's they are apparently quieter then the TrailGrapplers Ive read tho..
And as said before, theres no way a larger wider tire that doesnt have much in the way of siping is going to be a decent snow tire...or should even be expected to be..
I understand your disappointment, but i think your expectations were way to high with the performance you wanted out of these Trailgrapplers..

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have them as well and have 37's and im getting 11-12 in town. No way you are getting 6mpg's unless your foot is to the floor light to light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
166 Posts
Trails in the snow

I take my dog running through fields of snow thats about a foot deep and I've never had any kind of issue in there. No slipping, no worry of getting stuck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had these in size 285-65-18 for no more than 48 hours. They are shite. The problem is that nitto advertises them as a mild mannered mix between the at and the mud grappler but they are rough riding lumpy bumpy loud bastards. I had dt swap them for BFG at's and it was a million times better. FWIW I had mud grapplers on my Tacoma that rode much better than the trail grapplers. Nitto failed on this one

·
Registered
402 Posts
Think your the only one that thinks that way. Mine certainly are not loud at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah unless your running like 10psi in them there is no way you should be getting 6 mpg. I have a heavy foot, tow trailers, and have the bed loaded pretty regularly and I get about 13.5 consistently on the highway and about 9-11 in the city.
And mine are not loud as well...

·
Registered
751 Posts
All I hear is a drum with mine... radio easily masks it.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Good to read all the positive comments. OP had me worried. It will be a while before I will need new tires (I only has less than 9k on my Tundra). But this was one of the tires I was seriously considering.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I need to rotate mine again but I have about 20,000 miles on them and they are wearing pretty evenly. Even with the 3/1 kit and pulling gooseneck trailers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah you are tripping. I call BS on 6mpg. I went from stock to 295's and I am getting 15mpg. The sound is not bad at all. It is a real low hum. I took it in the mud and they are awesome. They clean out real well. Great tires.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts