Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running BFG AT's and these are not the impressive tire I thought they'd be traction wise they are bulletproof though they just don't go anywhere? So I'm looking into getting a set of Nitto trail grapplers and I'm sure after all the winter storms have hit us someone has to know how these tires do on ice which is my only concern with them as they are not siped? So if someone can tell me how your winter traction is with these compared to previous experience with BFG AT would be best but I'll take anything?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I'm currently running BFG AT's and these are not the impressive tire I thought they'd be traction wise they are bulletproof though they just don't go anywhere? So I'm looking into getting a set of Nitto trail grapplers and I'm sure after all the winter storms have hit us someone has to know how these tires do on ice which is my only concern with them as they are not siped? So if someone can tell me how your winter traction is with these compared to previous experience with BFG AT would be best but I'll take anything?
Ive got a set of nitto terra grapplers on my truck and they were unstoppable in the 20 inches of snow we got a couple weeks ago.

I was trying to get stuck. I even climbed a hill with 3 feet of plowed snow on it and the tires dug right in and took off.

No experience with the trail grapplers though

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm sure they will do just fine if not better ON SNOW than on ICE. ON ice, no tire will perform very good at all unless have tire chains which I do not recommend traveling say above 40 mph. Snow good, ice very bad.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know no tire does good on ice I was just hoping that their no worse than any all terrain tire I've had! I've had Toyo MTs and can't really remember them being any worse or better than anything I've had!

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
My Trails do pretty good. I can get up my driveway in two wheel drive with the couple inches of ice thats on it.

I'm gonna be in Plainfield Thursday morning if you want to check the tires out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rgriff I've seen em in person the only drawback I seen was lack of siping and since I'd seen good reports on rain traction, my last concern was with ice! I'll be in Danville-Avon sometime this weekend! Almost 100% going with these tires!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I can attest to the ice performance of the Nitto Terra Grappler. I'm on my second set of 275/70 18. The last set lasted 60K miles and there was alot left when I traded last April. I switched to a new set in October and saved the factory tires. This time when I trade I will put the crappy BFG stock tires on before I pick up the new truck. The Nittos are remarkable because they grip ice well for a non-studded tire yet have a rubber compound that lasts more miles than other tires. Good winter tires usually have a soft compound that wears quickly. Some manufactures actually say to take them off when the weather warms up.

The trail grapplers are more agressive so their ice performance will suffer. I know they will do better in mud and snow...plus they look cool. However, for the money you can't beat the terra grappler.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys on the terra grapplers I've had them before can't remember much about them only had them about 12k before I traded that truck off for my tundra their an option too! Just think that if the trail grapplers perform like people say their worth a shot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts