Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed out my gears to the Nitro 4.88s and Auburn LSD.
I'm on 35 Toyo MTS and 20x10s.
Wow, what a difference!
My acceleration is back almost like stock and zero gear hunting.
The engine seems to be working less, meaning I do not have to press the pedal as much for my truck to do the same thing.
On the freeways, its a beast, and can accelerate so much faster.
Keep in mind, my RPMs did go up slightly.
Initially on my set up, my RPMS were at 1950 at 70MPH (speedo uncalibrated) now at 70MPH my RPMS are at 2050.
However, I'm pressing the gas pedal less.
So far about 400 miles on the set up.
There is no extra noise that I can hear or any cons so far. Honestly should have done this awhile ago.
I really enjoy driving her even more so now.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
I second a follow up. I want to know the benefits of the steeper gear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just hit 550 miles....
So far zero additional noises or whining.
Still very smooth acceleration, no extra vibration, and drives like factory.

The added benefits are no hunting for gears, the acceleration is much much better and very noticeable increase.
Barely hit the pedal and the truck goes, pretty much like driving a stock truck, but i have 20x10s with heavy Toyo MTs.

Crazy part is even with the slightlu higher RPMs, my gas mileage has gone up lol.
My dash now reads 14.1 MPG, adn if manually calculated for the larger tires, I am getting 14.8 MPG.

Time to go get my diff fluid changed after break in.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You get those installed in the ghetto or something? Just wondering what you were using the pistol for on the install... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
How are the 4.88s and auburn working out for you I just ordered the parts and a local shop in fresno ca will do work for me fearless gear. Update much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
.... No One Believes Me When I continuously tell people that just because you have a higher RPM does not mean that your fuel economy will go down, engine load plays a huge Factor.

It's very nice to hear that you're happy with the regear and I wish more people did it! While the price tag is a steep investment out of the gate it is so well worth!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fearless gear in fresno ca will do mine for 3200 parts and labor includes yukon gears front and rear with master kits for front and rear, auburn lsd also. Is 3200 sound about right? What did u guys pay thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
yikes!
i'm taking mine in next week. front/rear 4:88s installed. $1150 parts/labor out the door.
installing the auburn pro lsd free.
i already had the auburn unit and install kit on the shelf. don't recall what i paid. 400-ish?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does that price include the master rebuild kits for front and rear??

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Does that price include the master rebuild kits for front and rear??

That price is ridiculously low @motorhead_1 I looked around and the best I could find for front and rear install only is $1200.
I paid $1200 for front and rear gears and master kits delivered. My lsd was another $450 private sale new in box. So all in I’ll be at $2850 when I have everything installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed that price is way to low. Parts alone cost more then what he got qouted. I think it's a mistake. I got quoted 2800 at one shop but went with the 3200 quote due to them being a specialty shop and wanted job done right. But hey if he can get it done for that low of a price good for him but highly doubt it based on my quotes and others here on forums.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ok, finally got the truck back a few days ago. you guys were right, but i still paid a lot less. seems my initial quote was for smaller ring and pinions. must have thought taco size???
guess they didnt plan on 10.5 rear and 8.9 front. so all that was over nighted and was installed with new bearings, seals, my auburn pro unit. parts/labor 1750 out the door. your truck could be slightly more or slightly less should you go to the same shop.
i go back in 1500 miles for included oil change/inspection
gears are quiet. seems like i need to push the gas less for the same result as before. shifts into 6th around town.
mileage on the incorrect dash display went from 12.1 to 12.3
need to reset computer and calulate the old fashioned way

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Hey guys any update on the set up? I am looking to do this next " I think". I am picking up my truck Monday Just got a ram air hood installed. Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats a great price man. $1750 for front and rear with Auburn and install is really unreal.
Kudos!!

Update on mine.... still going strong and my truck accelerates like a beast.
Kwowing that I get on her a little bit more lol so my MPG went down to 13.0 on the uncorrected dash.....
However, I did go up to an 8 inch lift from a 7inch lift if that matters any.

My Smiles per Gallon are all that matters!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.