Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newby here from upstate NY.

I know this topic is probably over discussed. I've read a lot of the previous post but it all just confuses me more. Basically I want my truck leveled without sacrificing the quality of the ride as I feel like my truck already rides rough compared to other stock trucks I've ridden in.
I have a 2010 stock TRD. Looking to level out the truck mostly just because it looks better. I don't do any recreational off roading. Although I do have a camp that is 9 miles back on a dirt road, partially unmaintained road but not real bad. I've read so much about toytec and lro 3/1 leveling kits and I like the price. Also 5100's and coilover options. Deciding what is best for me is proving to be overwhelming and confusing.
I don't want to break the bank and I don't want to add the 3/1 leveling kit if it is going to make for a rougher 9 mile ride into my camp. My understanding is that the toytec would be a better 3/1 option over lro for the dirt road travel as they install preloading the spring or shock, although I don't completely understand what that means. Are 5100's really much of an upgrade over the stock TRD shocks? And I'm not sure the 5100's will give me the height I'm looking for to fit a 34" tire. Also have seen people saying that the 5100's stiffen up the ride. Coil overs and shackles and whatever else comes along with that option seems to be more than I want to spend. Any suggestions on what would be best for my personal situation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have a 2" leveling kit on mine, and mine still rides and drives just like stock. If you aren't really offroading the truck or flexing it, I think you would be fine with one of the 3/1's. That said, the other options are probably "better" for more offroad type stuff, but also more expensive. For me, I was fine with the 2" spacer because I was strictly going for looks and 275/70/18. I like it and it looks proportional now.

Reactions: Bosque

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have kings front and rear, best ride evar! I spent months saving for them and they are worth it. I was patient which I suggest saving your money until you can afford any of the high end shocks like king, fox, ads, or icon, they're all rebuildable which will last the life of the truck. Take off your front sway bar and see how that works with ride quality on current suspension and you can easily put it back on if you dont like it. Suspension is a very important upgrade, dont cheap out on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Suspension work is definitely a you get what you pay for item. Cheaper leveling kits won't help the ride of the truck, it'll just raise it a little to level it out. I don't have my Tundra yet, but have done alot of suspension work on other vehicles. If you want a better ride you way want to look at a new coil over & shock kit. I've heard good things about the Bilstein kits & both the 5100 and 6112 kits get great reviews. I'll be looking to do a mild level look and probably going with one of these Bilstein kits when I get my Tundra later this year.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Where in upstate NY? PM me, if I'm anywhere close you can check mine out.

I did 5100 fronts on the middle setting with a CB shim (2 on the driver side, 1 on the passenger side). I did 5100 rears with CB +2 rear shackles. I also did SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers behind my stock TRD wheels, and I fit Cooper S/T Maxx tires in 295/70r18 no problem.

It rides "firmer" but not harshly with that setup. It actually feels as if it handles a bit better as well.

I've put about 2k miles on the setup, as well as a bunch of sugar sand dune driving and I love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.