Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yo!

1st post here. I finally said goodbye to my 94 Dodge RAM 2500 and bought a 2012 base Tundra with only 20K miles -with the big motor, 4WD and full size bed. Yahoo! How sweet it is. But I can't see well to back it into tight spaces, or to line up the trailer hitch so I decided to install a backup camera. I used lots of information on this site, so this message is also a thank you to members who gone down this path before me. I thought I would post while it is all still fresh in my memory. Which totally sucks, because I'm 60 years old so by tomorrow I'll have forgotten most of it! (I also learned I am NOT as flexible and willing to contort myself into unusual positions as I was when I installed car stereo for a living in my late teens and early twenties!)

I first tried one of the wireless, mount-it-on-your-license-plate-frame systems. It worked, but - you don't see your own bumper/hitch which makes it worthless to me. I returned it. I ruled out the one that uses the factory harness due to both cost and some fear over a post I read here saying that the harness isn't actually connected to the one in the headliner on many 2012/2013 Tundras.

I finally settled on this camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DCRS89M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHC7UTI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed it today. The mechanical installation of the camera was a breeze. I agree with a comment I learned here that the factory clip that holds the key lock into the housing is better than the one that came with the camera - I reused the factory one. Routed the wires down through the tailgate and through the hole right center below the tailgate into the underside of the truck.

At every step I used a 12V power supply to hook everything up and make sure it was working properly so I wouldn't have to retrace too many steps if something went wrong.

I wired the camera power right to the right side backup light socket wires. (Cut them, spliced them, soldered them, protected with shrink wrap.) Cabled tied up all the excess.

I ran the video cable forward along an existing wire bundle passenger side, and up into the cab through one of the grommets in the floor near the jack (standard cab, passenger rear corner). Then under the rocker panel trim. Then under the forward side trim plastic and behind the rubber mat to the center console.

I bought the 7" monitor because bigger is better, right? I'm not so sure now - as mounting options were very few. The monitor's view angle is REALLY NARROW so it must be aimed pretty much straight at your face. It would not have been legal anywhere in the windshield area except mounted to the back of the visor, which might have been nice, but would have been a much more significant job. Cars didn't have airbags when I worked on them and I was a little intimidated about pulling the trim and ultimately working in an area where an airbag lives. SO - I mounted it to the bottom vertical piece of trim between the console and the transmission tunnel. SO - I have to look down to see the monitor, and it might be in the way of a center passenger, but I don't care because this is a utility truck for us. I have a car to drive normally. The monitor folds up against the trim when I don't need it anyway.

I got power for the monitor from the cigarette lighters after determining they were in fact switched on with the ignition. SO - the monitor is always on, easy to switch off. If I had it to do over I would have run the reverse light power up to the front along with the video cable. But for the above mentioned reasons - I don't care. (If someone knows of an easy to access wire in the center console that's hot only when in reverse - I'm all ears.)

It works.

Nice to meet you!

P.S. I live in Sonoma County wine country - wasn't affected by the fires - and I make harmonica microphones for a living out of my home shop. Two CNC milling machines, two lathes, a lot of other toys. See http://www.blowsmeaway.com for more on that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There is a wire in the passenger kick panel that is hot when in reverse.

I did a similar install, but went wired/wireless. I used the Garmin GPS with the BC30 backup cam. I used cig lighter with a switch ando the passenger foot-well reverse hot tied together with diodes to the camera. Camera was installed in the handle in an oem camera handle. The GPS stays on my dash and comes on in reverse or when I send power.

I also wired my own tailgate power lock at the same time and made my own harness with plugs at the firewall and tailgate. I also added a passenger eject button and low beer alarm to play a short audio file when pressed.

Fun project.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Love the switches!

Can you give me any more information to help identify this wire?
I have info saved somewhere on my work computer, but it's not with me.

I googled to find this:
Console reverse wire??? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

and this:
https://www.tundras.com/threads/backup-camera.683/

So it seems most of the pictures have rolled off picture sites, so I went out to the truck, pulled up the passenger sill, then the kick panel, and took a pic. I installed the auto-tailgate lock as well, but I believe this is the correct wire because the other end went to my diodes. My added wire is solid larger red. The reverse signal is coming from the blue.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.