Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my new wheels put on this today. Not really happy with the result, unfortunately. I love the wheels, it's the tires that I don't like. They look too donut-like if that makes any sense. This is what I was afraid of. They are either not wide enough for the new wheel, too tall, not enough tread, or all of the above. I'll post a pic tomorrow to get some opinions. I'm considering switching from the 265/65 to a 275/60 in hopes that a slightly wider and shorter tire will look better and will likely choose a different tire with a more aggressive tread pattern. I like the look of the Nitto Terra Grappler. Not sure I can get this look with a 17" though without varying too much from the stock size and affecting my speedo, etc. Nitto grapplers are available in 265/65/17, but I would hate to buy all new tires only to get the same look. Suggestions? (getting new rims is not an option--I'm looking for tire suggestions only). This is the look I want, but would a 275/60 tire give me this look, or at least close to it?

This is the look I want, only in a 17". Possible with a 275/60/17?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-BLACK-XD...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ba76ae34&vxp=mtr

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Close to it, but a much smaller scale :lol5:

Reactions: Ogtoyfan and Jesco

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
I've never liked after market wheels with stock tires.. .it never does look right. Terra graps are good tires, getcha self some

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
In the absence of pictures of your truck, i am not sure what the problem is. Is your complaint that side wall of the tire is too large? With 17 inch wheels, I don't think low profile tires are feasible.

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
The look you want won't be possible if you are referring to the wheel vs tire ratio

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Yeah, I think with 17's your not gonna be happy. I went with 20's from 18's but they are almost the same diameter overall....so there is a lot less sidewall than there was with the 18" wheels. These are Nitto Terra Grapplers...Love em

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
But those tires look tiny. I suppose you could make sidewall smaller by going with smaller tires. But then that will look funny too.

Personally, I would just bite the bullet and buy a larger wheel (20 inch or even 22). It seems like that's the look you want.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Falken Wild Peak or Nitto Terra Grappler will give you more of the look you're wanting

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like the wheels but, in my opinion, at 17", you are almost forced to go with a more aggressive tire. BFG Mud Terrains would be cool. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I am looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers and Falken Wild Peaks now. The tread width isn't listed for either tire, so all I have to go off of is the picture. Neither comes in a 275 width, so it's either stick with 265/65/17 or jump to 285/70, which will give me a taller sidewall (which I don't want--I don't think). The Yoko Geos (tire I currently have) come in 275/60/17, but I'd hate to buy the same tires for only 10 mm more of width (5mm per side) and end up with the same look. Nitto Trail Grapplers would probably look good, but I do mostly on-raod driving. Here are some other shots:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I like the BFG Mud Terrains and also the Nitto Trail Grapplers, but these are both off-road tires aren't they? I do mostly highway driving. Which of these two would give me the most comfort on-road? Toyo Open Country A/Ts come in 275/60/17, but it looks like they've been replaced with the A/T II, which goes from 265 to 285. That sucks.

dmaxphil, what size BFG tire is that in the pic you posted?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the BFG Mud Terrains and also the Nitto Trail Grapplers, but these are both off-road tires aren't they? I do mostly highway driving. Which of these two would give me the most comfort on-road? Toyo Open Country comes in 275/60/17. Hmmm.

dmaxphil, what size BFG tire is that in the pic you posted?
285/70R17 I believe. The last BFG mud terrains I rode were the old style on my dually. They looked awesome but rode like crap. My current Trail Grapplers ride great on the highway but nothing like a street tire. BFG All terrains or Terra Grapplers would look and drive good, but I think you need to look for something between 33-34" tall and 11.5-12" wide. JMO

Pic below is of some BFG AT on 17's I think. As mentioned earlier, the look you are going for is not really possible with 17's. Get some 20's if you want a lower profile tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Low profile isn't a must, but I need a tire that isn't going to give me the donut look like my current tires. Do you think a 275/60 with a wider tread width would do it? I suppose I could just sell everything and go up to an 18" rim. I don't think 20" would look good on a 1st gen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry man, I completely missed the fact you were talking about a 1st gen :rolleyes:

You are on right track. How about a side shot of your truck? There are a ton of tire sizes that could look good. 275/55 265/65 as well as the one you mentioned. Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts