Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be graduating college here in the next couple of months, and as a gift to myself for a "job well-done" *cough*, I'm going to buy a different vehicle. I've been looking for quite a while for what I want. I've narrowed it down to either a Tundra or a Powerstroke, and in either way I'll be buying new.

Why in the world can I not find a new Tundra that is not a FlexFuel?!? I would supercharge the Tundra, and last I knew you couldn't supercharge the FlexFuel through Toyota.

The Powerstroke I would delete and tune to ease my mind, assuming I can find any after recent events. I have no intentions of power tuning, just tuning to accommodate the deletes and improve the reliability. The Powerstroke would most likely be a 2012 at the moment due to EPA crap and adjustments to the 2013 Powerstroke.

Whatever I get will be my daily driver, so fuel mileage is important. I haven't done the analysis yet to determine monetary reasoning of one versus the other including payments, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc. Either way keeping more money in my pocket is never a bad thing. However, for what I really want in the Powerstroke, I have found the lowest asking price to be $53k. There are other options that I would settle for with asking prices of around $42k. In the Tundra, I really haven't found what I want because not having the FlexFuel is one of the most important aspects to me.

Also, I plan to buy in CO but I'm moving to OH, so registration will be out there. Is there any problem that may arise from that because I'm not very familiar with that kind of situation?

Just looking for some advice or insight into something I may overlook. What do you guys think? (I know there is some details on my part that I've probably overlooked in explaining just because I already know my situation and can't convey everything to you very effectively).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not buy a slightly used one and save a bundle that you can use on your modifications?
Because, just speculating, but I think the price difference between a new and slightly used is pretty minimal, but financing percentages are lower for new than used. So that would either make new cheaper than slightly used or balance them out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like your guys' ideas. I try to seek advice from experienced individuals when possible so that I don't have to learn myself what others have already learned haha. But refraining from being too stubborn to listen to the advice is the difficult part :)

There's a chance that I will trade in my sister's Corolla and she'll take my Tundra, unless she doesn't want it in which case I'd trade or sell my Tundra. I think trade in on the Corolla though is estimated to be around $7k which will help in either case. I don't have any student loans, and my job I'm moving to OH for is, I guess you could say "healthy." (To put that in other terms, I've qualified--not approved--for a $440k mortage...which I will NEVER do anything close to anytime soon.) So I guess what I'm saying is that 500-700 a month payments won't hurt or even more, but I will take a 300 a month payment over those any day for the same or similar vehicle.

On the purchasing/tax stuff, aren't you supposed to pay the sales tax in the county in which you will be registering the vehicle? My moving to OH will be within a month of the purchase.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Registration fees in CO are CRAZZYY high, so I won't be registering here to re-register in OH even if it's refunded.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone dealt with Mountain States Toyota? I know they're commission free so I'd like to deal with them if possible if I get another Tundra. Stevinson was kind of a nuisance to deal with when I bought my current Tundra.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am actually from Ohio but now live in Colorado! Trust me....you want to purchase the truck using an Ohio address! You will not get a refund from Colorado! And their fees are highway crookery!!
THANK YOU!! I kinda had a feeling about that, so I appreciate you verifying that for me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It sounds like you are potentially getting a house as well? Will you be getting your truck before or after you go through all that?

I am currently going through the process with a short sale, and want to get a new Tundra, but it would mess up my "income-debt" ratio, so I am going to wait for a little. I figure it will give me just enough time to see if I like the 2014 models, and if I don't then potentially save some on the "old" 2013 models.

Are you looking at making any other big purchases? I graduated a few years ago, and I know it felt like I was a gajillionaire when I started looking at things to buy. Just don't be like some of my friends and get in massive debt.

If I were you I would get my housing stuff settled before school is out and prices go up some, and then potentially wait for the 2014 release.
Yeah, I have been looking at a lot of houses, but there is only so much looking I can do online until I actually get there especially since it's 1400 miles away. The current plan is to get the pickup early to mid May and a house this summer sometime.

No other big purchases are planned. Nothing I have to finance anyway. But I also don't have any debt currently to where a vehicle wouldn't mess up my income:debt ratio too bad.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just cause you have the cash doesn't mean you have to spend it all. That's how the rich folk make it. They don't spend it all. Good luck!
I'm never against having money, but I also like to enjoy myself a bit :D

But I would offer that the rich are rich because they spend their money. It's just a matter of how they spend it :scratchhead:

Also, thanks everyone for the input so far! They are good ideas that have already given me a lot more thoughts on ways to go about this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There aren't any major changes to the 2013 6.7L PSD compared to 2012...
If you're going to emissions delete, act soon before all the vendors are forced by the EPA to cease sales of those types of products.
No, just some bigger brakes to increase the tow rating. But they changed the ECU and nobody has cracked the codes yet to be able to offer delete equipment, so only '11 and '12 can be deleted at the moment. Yeah, I wanna delete the emissions crap and am getting really worried and impatient about it if I do go for the PSD.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sister decided she doesn't want my pickup :scratchhead:, so it looks like I'll be using it.

Price checked it here: Kelley Blue Book
Trade in is about $8,500 and private party is about $10,500. It would be nice to have that couple extra thousand, but how easily do you think it would sell if I were to try to sell it myself?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts