Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be graduating college here in the next couple of months, and as a gift to myself for a "job well-done" *cough*, I'm going to buy a different vehicle. I've been looking for quite a while for what I want. I've narrowed it down to either a Tundra or a Powerstroke, and in either way I'll be buying new.

Why in the world can I not find a new Tundra that is not a FlexFuel?!? I would supercharge the Tundra, and last I knew you couldn't supercharge the FlexFuel through Toyota.

The Powerstroke I would delete and tune to ease my mind, assuming I can find any after recent events. I have no intentions of power tuning, just tuning to accommodate the deletes and improve the reliability. The Powerstroke would most likely be a 2012 at the moment due to EPA crap and adjustments to the 2013 Powerstroke.

Whatever I get will be my daily driver, so fuel mileage is important. I haven't done the analysis yet to determine monetary reasoning of one versus the other including payments, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc. Either way keeping more money in my pocket is never a bad thing. However, for what I really want in the Powerstroke, I have found the lowest asking price to be $53k. There are other options that I would settle for with asking prices of around $42k. In the Tundra, I really haven't found what I want because not having the FlexFuel is one of the most important aspects to me.

Also, I plan to buy in CO but I'm moving to OH, so registration will be out there. Is there any problem that may arise from that because I'm not very familiar with that kind of situation?

Just looking for some advice or insight into something I may overlook. What do you guys think? (I know there is some details on my part that I've probably overlooked in explaining just because I already know my situation and can't convey everything to you very effectively).

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I'll be graduating college here in the next couple of months, and as a gift to myself for a "job well-done" *cough*, I'm going to buy a different vehicle. I've been looking for quite a while for what I want. I've narrowed it down to either a Tundra or a Powerstroke, and in either way I'll be buying new.

Why in the world can I not find a new Tundra that is not a FlexFuel?!? I would supercharge the Tundra, and last I knew you couldn't supercharge the FlexFuel through Toyota.

The Powerstroke I would delete and tune to ease my mind, assuming I can find any after recent events. I have no intentions of power tuning, just tuning to accommodate the deletes and improve the reliability. The Powerstroke would most likely be a 2012 at the moment due to EPA crap and adjustments to the 2013 Powerstroke.

Whatever I get will be my daily driver, so fuel mileage is important. I haven't done the analysis yet to determine monetary reasoning of one versus the other including payments, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc. Either way keeping more money in my pocket is never a bad thing. However, for what I really want in the Powerstroke, I have found the lowest asking price to be $53k. There are other options that I would settle for with asking prices of around $42k. In the Tundra, I really haven't found what I want because not having the FlexFuel is one of the most important aspects to me.

Also, I plan to buy in CO but I'm moving to OH, so registration will be out there. Is there any problem that may arise from that because I'm not very familiar with that kind of situation?

Just looking for some advice or insight into something I may overlook. What do you guys think? (I know there is some details on my part that I've probably overlooked in explaining just because I already know my situation and can't convey everything to you very effectively).
here is a solution: on your way up North to new city swing through Texas, find a non flex used Tundra for around mid 20's, and at the same time from same dealership buy a brand new Camry/Corolla in the 20's as well...because all I got from the above paragraphs were....you just graduated (student loans) and flex fuel (tons down here) do you really need that other brand truck? will you be towing? and daily driver with good fuel mileage (not gonna get it with either truck) especially with a S/Cer...good luck and congrats on graduating

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not buy a slightly used one and save a bundle that you can use on your modifications?
Because, just speculating, but I think the price difference between a new and slightly used is pretty minimal, but financing percentages are lower for new than used. So that would either make new cheaper than slightly used or balance them out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on your graduation! I just graduated my self back in may and I did the same thing you are wanting to do. The first thing I wanted to do when I graduated college was to get me a new truck and that's what I did. I have always been a GM man and wanted a diesel as well but the reliability of Toyota sold me on them and I am happy with my Tundra! :)

Good luck to ya and what ever you decide to buy!

Reactions: plainsgrown

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had similar scenario 3yo truck with 15k miles on it.
After 5k down, financed 22k for 6y, payment is $329/mo.

Even if you put $5k down on a new truck (or have a 5k trade-in), you're still looking at a payment of 600-700/month - which is a hefty chunk for a new college grad.

Now, if your folks are going to help you out - more power to you. I just wouldn't put yourself in a position starting out where your truck payment eats up a huge portion of your income.
(I'm not smart either - I've just made the mistakes I hope you'll avoid.....)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Because, just speculating, but I think the price difference between a new and slightly used is pretty minimal, but financing percentages are lower for new than used. So that would either make new cheaper than slightly used or balance them out. Correct me if I'm wrong.
For one Bad Dad has an excellent point about tax. Many sellers are pretty cool and will let you put whatever amount "paid" in the title paperwork so you only pay tax on say $10k vice the $35k you actually paid. Colorado sales tax is highly dependent upon where you live in the state, county, city. Further I think what a lot of guys on here are getting at is that you are just graduating and likely do not have a job yet or much in the way of savings (like 8-10 months of income) so buying new may be a mistake, because lets face it life is great at kicking you in the teeth and then kicking you when your down. This is ESPECIALLY true when you are first getting started in life, a new job, just had kids etc...
You are correct about interest rates to a certain extent. I was lucky and scored my Tundra at 0% but saving $10-15k up front can make a huge impact on the total paid which is all that really counts. Lots to consider but it sounds like you are more than capable of doing all the long term math one should ideally do when buying.

·
Registered
925 Posts
What SBG is saying makes a lot of since but I know here in Louisiana most banks wont go more than three year on vehicle unless it is pretty much new so I decided to get a new tundra and I got the 0% for 72 months and my note was right at 500 a month. lol but then I traded that one in and got a 4x4 La edition and my note only went up 50$ a month and that is at 2.5% interest

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like your guys' ideas. I try to seek advice from experienced individuals when possible so that I don't have to learn myself what others have already learned haha. But refraining from being too stubborn to listen to the advice is the difficult part :)

There's a chance that I will trade in my sister's Corolla and she'll take my Tundra, unless she doesn't want it in which case I'd trade or sell my Tundra. I think trade in on the Corolla though is estimated to be around $7k which will help in either case. I don't have any student loans, and my job I'm moving to OH for is, I guess you could say "healthy." (To put that in other terms, I've qualified--not approved--for a $440k mortage...which I will NEVER do anything close to anytime soon.) So I guess what I'm saying is that 500-700 a month payments won't hurt or even more, but I will take a 300 a month payment over those any day for the same or similar vehicle.

On the purchasing/tax stuff, aren't you supposed to pay the sales tax in the county in which you will be registering the vehicle? My moving to OH will be within a month of the purchase.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone dealt with Mountain States Toyota? I know they're commission free so I'd like to deal with them if possible if I get another Tundra. Stevinson was kind of a nuisance to deal with when I bought my current Tundra.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am actually from Ohio but now live in Colorado! Trust me....you want to purchase the truck using an Ohio address! You will not get a refund from Colorado! And their fees are highway crookery!!
THANK YOU!! I kinda had a feeling about that, so I appreciate you verifying that for me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am actually from Ohio but now live in Colorado! Trust me....you want to purchase the truck using an Ohio address! You will not get a refund from Colorado! And their fees are highway crookery!!
I wont discuss details of my deal, but my fees sucked! I'm in CO too. Everything is under my name, but had my dad there with me to make sure they weren't sliding something under my nose since it was my first NEW vehicle on my own :D

If you're looking at a powerstroke... I would certainly look a certified used for reasons stated before BUT also because you aren't getting jabbed as bad up front for that premium motor like you are new. I wanted an F-250 as well when I was looking at trucks, but I just couldnt swing the $50k for it. Ended up with my Tundra and havent looked back since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It sounds like you are potentially getting a house as well? Will you be getting your truck before or after you go through all that?

I am currently going through the process with a short sale, and want to get a new Tundra, but it would mess up my "income-debt" ratio, so I am going to wait for a little. I figure it will give me just enough time to see if I like the 2014 models, and if I don't then potentially save some on the "old" 2013 models.

Are you looking at making any other big purchases? I graduated a few years ago, and I know it felt like I was a gajillionaire when I started looking at things to buy. Just don't be like some of my friends and get in massive debt.

If I were you I would get my housing stuff settled before school is out and prices go up some, and then potentially wait for the 2014 release.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.