Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing around ideas in my head for upgrading my suspension and wonder if aftermarket UCA's are needed? At first, I wanted King coilovers up front and King reservoir shocks out back with some new UCA's (total chaos, Icon, etc), but the backspacing on my current wheel set up is over 5.5" (i've got 18x9.5 +25mm offset Vtech raptors), and everything I've seen for UCA's only allows for up to 5" of backspacing. Now, I'm just thinking of going ICON reservoir coil overs up front and reservoir shocks out back with no new UCA's. Right now, I'm just running a 3/1 redylift spacer kit and want the same height (but increased ride quality) from the aftermarket shocks. Do I need aftermarket UCA's or can I live with stock? I only want the upgraded suspension for better ride quality and a bit more wheel travel. I mainly use my truck as a daily river, but want the ability to take it off road a bit, no rock crawling or anything like that, she's my baby and I don't wanna bang her up....yet:D what does everybody think?

Reactions: burdman10

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
^^^x3

My backspace is 6.5". Camburgs website says 5.5" max backspace. However, I have TC arms and fox 2.5's and 35x12.5 tires and I do not rub anywhere. At full lock I might be 1/4" to the sway bar, and throughout the steering range I have about a finger gap between the UCA and the top of the tire.

coils and UCA's man just do it :lol5:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you're gonna get new coil u should allow it to do what it's design to do. Get UCA. Just my way of offroading.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
That's my plan,I'm just wondering if I'll need to get new wheels to accomodate for the UCA's. I'm almost home from Afghan, and will hafta just stop in at a shop or two to get some sort of expert opinion. Trust me, I want ICON UCA's too, not just the stock ones to complete the package:eek:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My master plan is ICON's at all four corners with ICON UCA's then of course the 3" Coachbuilder shackles I already have sitting in a box at my brother's house to round out the entire package....

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
That's my plan,I'm just wondering if I'll need to get new wheelsto accomodate for the UCA's. I'm almost home from Afghan, and will hafta just stop in at a shope or two to get some sort of expert opinion. Trust me, I want ICON UCA's too, not just the stock ones to complete the package:eek:
I needed 1.25 wheel spacers to clear UCA when running bigger tires Raven. Hope to see you out off roading! Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Wheel Brake

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I needed 1.25 wheel spacers to clear UCA when running bigger tires Raven. Hope to see you out off roading! View attachment 74081

What was the backspacing on your wheels? How much were the spacers? Got any profile pics of your truck so I can see how far out the wheels stick out from the fenders?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I love your truck, Tuna. Those red letter Grabbers are sweet. I'll prob end up getting the 1.25" spacers to accomodate the UCA's and backspacing. Do you feel confident in running spacers? I mean, do you feel like maybe your wheel is gonna fall off or something:eek:
Lol I had no confident in spacers until I took the truck to mojave in feb. this year. Grabbers do look nice but for 17" rim i like my new 34" tire bc it gives me a softer ride and I don't have to trim body mount. Grabber was 33". Tundra for life. Work and play.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
buy a used wrangler for the price of the suspension mod and beat the hell out of it...

That's what I am trying to do anyways. lol.

In all honesty tho, how much off roading do you do? is it that bad that you can justify the price for what you are thinking about doing? really, fitting a tundra and then add the fact it is a cm down most trails that my friends in az do you will have severe trail pinstripes and NEED some actual rock rails with our wheelbase.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
buy a used wrangler for the price of the suspension mod and beat the hell out of it...

That's what I am trying to do anyways. lol.

In all honesty tho, how much off roading do you do? is it that bad that you can justify the price for what you are thinking about doing? really, fitting a tundra and then add the fact it is a cm down most trails that my friends in az do you will have severe trail pinstripes and NEED some actual rock rails with our wheelbase.
very true...I'd probably never run my CM down any legit trails, but I think (like most on here), that it's just having to ability to do it. If I hadn't spent the past 8 months deployed, I know I definitely couldn't afford the upgrades I'm planning on going with, but now I can, and I will....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts