Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hmm. I still have my stock box in the garage. I might try this and see how it compares to my volant. Interesting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
168 Posts
will this only work on supercharged motors

·
Registered
208 Posts
Anyone a member of that site or does anyone have Dez email address? I'm not a member of that site and would rather not join just to get his info.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Looks similar to what "supercharged" did with his airbox. (And maybe others). After seeing what he did, I was gonna do it to mine...never got around to it, and forgot about it.
Yep. I did it on my supercharged Tundra. The mod if defiitely worth doing and butt dyno says peformance is slightly better.

A toyota Tech installed on his supercharged Tundra as well and did before and after same day dyno pulls and saw a bump in HP/TQ. I think supercharged said he saw .1-.15 improvement in the 1/4 mile.

From what I can see, this just basically adds a hole where the engine can draw air from?
Correct you cut a hole in the inside engine bay and install the kit to allow for increased flow into the air box. It is sealed so you draw air from outside the engine

·
Registered
266 Posts
From what I can see, this just basically adds a hole where the engine can draw air from?
..and add 2-3 mpg...instantly!

Obligatory small print disclaimer.
Actual mileage may vary

·
Registered
740 Posts
Anyone remember the deckplate mod for the Tacoma's? That was better than any intake on the market and cost $5 this looks similar. Prob works fine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Any chance of reducing back pressure? This looks like a one and done deal lol. No turning back.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Dez, master fabricator, has...
Wait. What? "Master fabricator?" Who are they trying to kid?

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I tried this a couple years ago. The performance improvement can be represented emoticons:

... however it is entirely reasonable this mod would help a supercharged machine but do nothing for a stock or nearly stock machine.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Yes, enough supercharged guys have mentioned it helped them, so you should give it a shot. :yesnod:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Uh hate to burst his bubble but I cut an extra hole in my stock air box in 2007 and bought some tube from a race shop ran it inside the fender to the top of the wheel well. Did nothing and cost like 15/20$? Just sayin'

·
Registered
645 Posts
Anyone know how to get ahold of Dez without signing up for with TG ?

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I guess, if you have a SC and an extra 5-6 HP @ 5500 rpm and a gained 1/10 of a second at the track is something that is important, I could see spending the time on this.
Otherwise......:confused:

My truck never sees 5500 rpm.
You might as well cut a hole in your tailgate, for all the difference this mod would make for someone who doesn't race at a level where .1 seconds is the difference between a win or loss.
And you could gain that by taking your back seats out or taking a fat shit before you race. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I guess, if you have a SC and an extra 5-6 HP @ 5500 rpm and a gained 1/10 of a second at the track is something that is important, I could see spending the time on this.
Otherwise......:confused:

My truck never sees 5500 rpm.
You might as well cut a hole in your tailgate, for all the difference this mod would make for someone who doesn't race at a level where .1 seconds is the difference between a win or loss.
And you could gain that by taking your back seats out or taking a fat shit before you race. :dunno:
I don't go to the track and think this mod was very much worth it given it is very cheap and simple to do. I'll take every last bit of horsepower that I can get since it is addictive and never enough.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts