Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...When I bought my 2019 tundra 4x4 sr5 a few months ago, I (stupidly) didn't pay much attention to the "rust"
I saw in the center of the wheels, where the little "hub caps" were not-yet-installed (apparently, the trucks are shipped
with those little covers off, then put on at the dealership ). Over a two day period, I only casually mentioned the rust I saw to my salesman (with
no visits to the service department to ask about it), ...and I assumed it was part of the wheels themselves (yes, as you can see, I'm pretty
"unmechanical").and didn't think much of it....and didn't look under the truck too much.

But I always wondered about that rust, so at my 5000 miles service appointment, I (with alot of persistence) was able
to get into the garage at the time they were doing the service (rotation, etc.). I had them take the "hub caps" off
the rear wheels....to look at the rust. At that point, I learned (from them) that what I was looking at was the axle-ends or "axle-hubs"....

I took photos of the very obvious rust. The one or (sometimes) 2 techs (and the "service writer,
who didn't know anything about the truck) were all totally "unconcerned"....and were telling me things like "most trucks come with this
rust" etc. At that time, I didn't even think to under the truck at the back side of the wheel (where the axle goes in...), and
they didn't look either (when I was there). So, I just said..ok..and went back up to the waiting room to think about it..but I was now a little
more concerned because I learned it's not just rusty wheels, but rusty "axle-ends"....

Later on that day, I walked into the service (top) manager's office...(seems to be a nice and accessible guy). I showed him the photos
and he was equally unconcerned...telling me...its no problem at all....and "most trucks" come like that....and we discussed
various general issues with rust...but to summarize...he insisted it's surface rust that would never be a problem...
and he even suggested I could probably just wash it out with water (which I knew was impossible, due to the
severity, which you can see in the photos ...So I
was still skeptical (since I know enough about how rust will always spread), and thanked him and left....to go think
more about it.

The next day I realized I had never crawled under the truck to look at the back side of the wheels.....and then I discovered
more VIEWS of the rust in those "axle-ends"....which I took photos of....And then I returned to talk with service manager again.
He was still unconcerned, and continued to suggest "no problem". He has never actually looked at the truck....just my photos.

So, I've enclosed the photos to see what some experts here think....Is it really possible that it's "no problem"? I plan
to keep this truck a LONG time...and i can't imagine rust like that being "no problem" in the future...

I doubt any of you have experienced something like this, but....suggestions welcome for future action...Are these photos
clear enough to indicate the problem I'm concerned about?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a little surface oxidization...

If it really bothers you, mask everything off and paint it..;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi folks...When I bought my 2019 tundra 4x4 sr5 a few months ago, I (stupidly) didn't pay much attention to the "rust"

I saw in the center of the wheels, where the little "hub caps" were not-yet-installed (apparently, the trucks are shipped

with those little covers off, then put on at the dealership ). Over a two day period, I only casually mentioned the rust I saw to my salesman (with

no visits to the service department to ask about it), ...and I assumed it was part of the wheels themselves (yes, as you can see, I'm pretty

"unmechanical").and didn't think much of it....and didn't look under the truck too much.

But I always wondered about that rust, so at my 5000 miles service appointment, I (with alot of persistence) was able

to get into the garage at the time they were doing the service (rotation, etc.). I had them take the "hub caps" off

the rear wheels....to look at the rust. At that point, I learned (from them) that what I was looking at was the axle-ends or "axle-hubs"....

I took photos of the very obvious rust. The one or (sometimes) 2 techs (and the "service writer,

who didn't know anything about the truck) were all totally "unconcerned"....and were telling me things like "most trucks come with this

rust" etc. At that time, I didn't even think to under the truck at the back side of the wheel (where the axle goes in...), and

they didn't look either (when I was there). So, I just said..ok..and went back up to the waiting room to think about it..but I was now a little

more concerned because I learned it's not just rusty wheels, but rusty "axle-ends"....

Later on that day, I walked into the service (top) manager's office...(seems to be a nice and accessible guy). I showed him the photos

and he was equally unconcerned...telling me...its no problem at all....and "most trucks" come like that....and we discussed

various general issues with rust...but to summarize...he insisted it's surface rust that would never be a problem...

and he even suggested I could probably just wash it out with water (which I knew was impossible, due to the

severity, which you can see in the photos ...So I

was still skeptical (since I know enough about how rust will always spread), and thanked him and left....to go think

more about it.

The next day I realized I had never crawled under the truck to look at the back side of the wheels.....and then I discovered

more VIEWS of the rust in those "axle-ends"....which I took photos of....And then I returned to talk with service manager again.

He was still unconcerned, and continued to suggest "no problem". He has never actually looked at the truck....just my photos.

So, I've enclosed the photos to see what some experts here think....Is it really possible that it's "no problem"? I plan

to keep this truck a LONG time...and i can't imagine rust like that being "no problem" in the future...

I doubt any of you have experienced something like this, but....suggestions welcome for future action...Are these photos

clear enough to indicate the problem I'm concerned about?

Really?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a '19 that looked the same. I'm in Ohio and although you see the rust on the axle if you are in a rust belt state 'which I doubt due to your concern' you will find your rusted axle won't get much worse compared to the weld seams on the frame. The welds gather rust faster than any place on Toyotas. I coated my whole frame with Krylon rust tuff spray paint a couple of weeks ago in an effort to slow the rust process. I'm contemplating coating the frame with fluid film before winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies so far...First I want to correct a typo (missing word): In the sentence: "At that time, I didn't even think to under the truck at the back side of the wheel" I left out the word "look".....(So it should be "I didn't even think to LOOK").

OK..now...to 1LowLife (and others): I wouldn't either! (worry about surface oxid.......), but I've been considering this to be more serious and
deeper. I really wish it was simply S.O., (and it very well may be) but when you look at it in real life....it looks like deep rust....so I think my pictures may be misleading......maybe I should take better ones with a flash/light......?? Did you zoom in to my pics and look up close (the FRONT view of wheel)? When I spent a hour looking at pics on various websites regarding what is simply superficial S.O. and deep rust, my pics are more like the latter.....

And my concern has been: what's going to happen in 10 years? 20 years?? Does the rust spread from the axle end to the rest of the axle? (i would think so)....But right now, it's the FRONT view of the wheel that looks really bad.....whereas the rear view (I agree) does look just superficial....

I also think some car dealers are going to call ANY rust problem on a new car "nothing to worry about" regardless of how severe it is....because "rust" isn't covered. I think my dealership lost some credibility when they told me "most cars come like that". That's not true at all, based on my random sampling of about 15 new cars on their lot..none had ANY rust at all on those axle-ends..

So, my pictures may not be clear enough.... maybe I should post better pics (??)..........but first I'd have to take off those hubcaps....which I've never done. Still, it's hard to imagine what that will look like in 15 years, if it looks like that now.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
It really is not an issue.

The axle shaft end that you are looking at under the hubcap is just a thick metal chunk. That's it. That part does nothing, and it isn't seen, and they don't paint them.
Even chromoly race axle shafts are the same, non-painted. They just put a sticker on them. And they aren't in a high production facility. You could paint them if you would like, but you will never see it.

The inner hub is the same thing. The rest of the truck will rust out before that solid chunk of metal rusts out. Your exhaust will be rusty after the first winter. Neither of the rusted surfaces you are concerned about do anything. They don't seal anything, and don't have any actual mechanical motion or contact with anything else where it is rusted. The magic happens deeper.

If you think that's bad, go to a ford dealer and look under the front of a brand new $87k F250 Platinum. It has way more unpainted parts that are rusty when the trucks show up on the dealer lot...

It really is nothing to worry about. The painted surfaces, frame, axle housing, all that will rust anyways unless you live in a dry warm climate, or treat it before winter. I use fluid film, it works great. The rest of the shaft will not rust out. There are seals on the axle housing that prevents that, and the inside of the axle is full of lubricant.

Today I changed my oil and rotated my tires and my truck is still rust free and will be 3 years old in Dec. This is from applying Fluid Film seasonally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote: "just a thick metal chunk. That's it. That part does nothing..."

One thing that worried me is: I thought it held the wheels on!...

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
light surface rust is all this is and op needs not blow this into something it's not.
most if not all trucks are like that and i have never seen a tundra break an axle or hub because it rusted away.
if it really bothers you that much,break out a wire brush and put some paint on it instead of wasting bandwidth on a non-issue...
but just in case,bring it in a hurry back to your dealer before the wheels fall off!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
quote: "just a thick metal chunk. That's it. That part does nothing..."

One thing that worried me is: I thought it held the wheels on!...

Thanks for all the info!
You're welcome!
The studs and the lug nuts actually hold the wheel on...
Here's a picture of an axle shaft un-assembled/un-installed.
https://www.carid.com/images/ten-factory/products/mg25151.jpg

There you can see the portion that has surface rust on your truck, only it has a sticker on it. This might help your mind put itself at ease as far as it rusting through.

My 87 Grand National axle shafts looked the same way, which matched what my 2017 Tundra axle shafts, and everyone else with a Tundra or any other trucks axle shafts look. And in 30+ years, it never got worse. The rest of the body, the floor, rear quarters, all those rusted out even though they were primed and painted more than once...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2000 T4R on jack stands...welding the frame for the third time due to rust. Might be finished. The rest of the vehicle is bullet proof but the frame is the Achilles heal. Bought it new and never did anything significant to prevent corrosion so I share your concern.

I have been considering doing something to my 2017 Tundra - surface rust (at this point) on the frame welds and inside of the front skid plate has a problem spot forming. It's a rust belt issue. I was thinking about doing POR-15 using a brush, staying away from mechanicals and focusing on the frame spots developing surface rust. Alternative would be to spray fluid film which I think could be applied over fasteners, mechanicals, etc. Suggestions?

Buckaroo

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have a 2000 T4R on jack stands...welding the frame for the third time due to rust. Might be finished. The rest of the vehicle is bullet proof but the frame is the Achilles heal. Bought it new and never did anything significant to prevent corrosion so I share your concern.

I have been considering doing something to my 2017 Tundra - surface rust (at this point) on the frame welds and inside of the front skid plate has a problem spot forming. It's a rust belt issue. I was thinking about doing POR-15 using a brush, staying away from mechanicals and focusing on the frame spots developing surface rust. Alternative would be to spray fluid film which I think could be applied over fasteners, mechanicals, etc. Suggestions?

Buckaroo
I'd just keep an eye on it. I have a 14 and I just saw the first weld spot have a little rust. Personally, I put some "Krud Kutter" rust remover on it. It will clean it better than you think. Check out this video.

Then spray some undercoating or spray on bed liner spray on it.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts

Buckaroo
From my experience, Fluid Film and similar products work better than Por. The same GN that I mentioned had gone through a frame off resto about 10 years before I bought it. The frame was por'd, and it didn't hold up well. It does look better than FF, but even though it was prepped properly, the por was failing... AND it never saw a winter road. The body rust was from the inside out as the inside of the panels during the resto weren't coated as they should have been, just primed and called good.

·
Registered
737 Posts
FF is good stuff , we call it sheep dip . Its mostly Lanolin in composition. lol

Looking into NHoilund rust preventer ,, looks to be oily / sticky and works well in Chowder Head country north east usa

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, agreed ...northing to worry about. Not a mechanical problem, just a cosmetic issue. As another member pointed out, take a look under other pick-ups and even passenger cars, and you will have something to compare with.

I generally get under my 2011 RW annually with some Eastwood products, such as chassis black, or rust encapsulator. I inspect for any mechanical issues, and treat rusty areas. I haven't tried Fluid Film, but I am aware of products like that, which might be good for hidden areas such as inside lower tailgate and door panel seams. I live in an area of low humidity, and not too much road salt used.

BTW, I wire brushed and painted my rusty hubs, which helps keep the wheel center hole from seizing to the hub. Had issues when changing a flat tire, with TRD wheels... very tight fit. There is a product called Corroseal that might be suitable for frame rust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts