Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my tundra now for about 2 years and I now need to put a cover on the back as I'll be doing some traveling. I am a photographer and have a lot of gear and want to know of a resource that I can look into for options for compartmented storage underneath the cover. Any help on this would be appreciated.. thanks...

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is all going to depend on your budget and your needs....

800-1000 dollars can get you a basic fiberglass top that will lock. I use something like this because I have to haul tools AND pets around.

You could also go for a roll-n-lock style rollback cover that would allow you to lock up gear but roll it out of the way to haul large items.

Roll-N-Lock

Or maybe a standard fiberglass tonneau?

Give us some more info....

If I was hauling gear I would use flight cases or something similar to haul it in. I did this with music gear for years in my old Dodge. It was like playing Tetris every time you had to load up, but I eventually worked out a pretty good system.

D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. I'm looking for something really intuitive. Cost can be a factor but I'm looking to not spend over 2500 for the solution.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Welcome to TT, about time you joined the discussion.:D Do you make your living with photography? I've always thought that would be cool, been paid for a few jobs over the years.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Are you looking for style or service? Style looks great, but IMHO is not worth it to me when you just need something to keep your stuff safe and dry. I would think that would classify in your case.

I wanted a cover so I could haul tools and fishing gear and not worry about them being stolen or getting wet. Being a cheap bastard, I found a bed cap off of a 2001 (I think) Chevy extenda cab. the demensions were exact. I have around $175 bucks wrapped up in mine. Of course it doesn't look as nice as some of the Leer or A.R.E. bed caps, but I needed function moor than looks.

Here is a pic of the bed cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to TT, about time you joined the discussion.:D Do you make your living with photography? I've always thought that would be cool, been paid for a few jobs over the years.

Hello Slate CW, yes and no. I am an PM by day and superhero by night.. lol Anyway, yes, I make pretty good with photography since I only do weddings. www.artsgroupphoto.com. I managed to incorporate graphics into photography so it's done pretty well.. we have 46 weddings this year to date and still booking :)

now the cover!? lol j/k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Are you looking for style or service? Style looks great, but IMHO is not worth it to me when you just need something to keep your stuff safe and dry. I would think that would classify in your case.

I wanted a cover so I could haul tools and fishing gear and not worry about them being stolen or getting wet. Being a cheap bastard, I found a bed cap off of a 2001 (I think) Chevy extenda cab. the demensions were exact. I have around $175 bucks wrapped up in mine. Of course it doesn't look as nice as some of the Leer or A.R.E. bed caps, but I needed function moor than looks.

Here is a pic of the bed cap.

Man, I thought you purchased an invisible one. :D

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Where are you located? I got BAKFlip F1 recently installed and this morning, I wanted to open it for ice-scrapper that I left in the bed. The cover was frozen shut. I am thinking if you have weather like mine, you may have better luck with hinged type. If you are in the south, folding type should work great.

Send a pm to Josh over at SVcustoms. He should be able to give you a great price on many different tonneau covers and the service is excellent. Here is the link to a BAKFlip cover thread. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-parts-accessories/92282-bak-flip-tonneau-special.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where are you located? I got bakflip f1 recently installed and this morning, i wanted to open it for ice-scrapper that i left in the bed. The cover was frozen shut. I am thinking if you have weather like mine, you may have better luck with hinged type. If you are in the south, folding type should work great.

Send a pm to josh over at svcustoms. He should be able to give you a great price on many different tonneau covers and the service is excellent. Here is the link to a bakflip cover thread. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-parts-accessories/92282-bak-flip-tonneau-special.html
thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Hello Slate CW, yes and no. I am an PM by day and superhero by night.. lol Anyway, yes, I make pretty good with photography since I only do weddings. www.artsgroupphoto.com. I managed to incorporate graphics into photography so it's done pretty well.. we have 46 weddings this year to date and still booking :)

now the cover!? lol j/k
Nice work! I will have to spend more time learning photo software. I come from the film era and switched to DSLR about a year ago.

As for the cover, I really like my Undercover, although I have not used any others. The only issue I've found is one of the locks leaks inside a little. But we get a lot of rain and it is 4 years old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts