Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Anyway, maybe you should spend more than 10 seconds on google before labeling my post as a factually incorrect political rant. That's not what I intended, and I did already apologize for the rant itself. The assertion that the energy density problem is nonsense is thoughtless. The only way renewables will replace common fossil fuel uses is if they have similar efficiencies.
That's all the time it took to prove that you are politically ranting. You don't understand the science (I do by the way), so are unable to discuss this on that basis. Apparently you have another agenda besides "truth".

If you wish to find someone to engage with you on this topic I suggest you start a thread in the appropriate forum.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
That's all the time it took to prove that you are politically ranting. You don't understand the science (I do by the way), so are unable to discuss this on that basis. Apparently you have another agenda besides "truth".

If you wish to find someone to engage with you on this topic I suggest you start a thread in the appropriate forum.
It's funny that you assume I don't understand the science, having no knowledge of my education or profession. In turn, I have no knowledge of your understanding, beyond the "10 seconds on google" admission, so that's what I based the discussion on. Despite your aversion to reasoned discussion, supposition of political bias, and your readiness to insult and claim superiority, I'll let you have this one without further response on my part.

May this thread continue without interruption from either of us.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
It's funny that you assume I don't understand the science, having no knowledge of my education or profession.
Pretty simple. I can tell by what you posted, because I at least have an understanding of physics and engineering.

It's sad but most of the stuff you find on the internet is someone's BS agenda masquerading as science. If you don't understand the science enough to spot the BS, it's hard to have a sensible opinion.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Pretty simple. I can tell by what you posted, because I at least have an understanding of physics and engineering.

It's sad but most of the stuff you find on the internet is someone's BS agenda masquerading as science. If you don't understand the science enough to spot the BS, it's hard to have a sensible opinion.
OK, one more response from me.

It's not just the science that needs to be considered, but the economics, volumetrics, and available technologies. I too have an understanding of physics and engineering, as well as energy and manufacturing processes and economics. I'm not claiming to know more than you, but you're still assuming you know more than me. Continuing to argue that would get us nowhere. Again, I was just presenting my opinions in hopes people would do their own research and come to their own conclusion. I didn't think I would have to plainly state that. You believe I'm wrong. I believe I'm correct. If you provided any references, I would have gladly reviewed them, and possibly changed my mind.

I do agree with your statement about the internet. The journal I linked would not be my first choice in sources, but the information presented was sensible enough, the cited references were not altogether unreasonable, and it was the quickest, most broad collection of data I could find for you.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
A report at Motor1 today indicates it will be another two years before we get a new Tundra.
TFL

Hopefully it will be well sorted and worth the wait...

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's very disappointing if true. I'm a toyota guy for sure, but I will probably jump ship if more enticing things appear before the Tundra hybrid is announced. I'm pretty confident they'll offer a hybrid now, as they made clear in recent headlines all their vehicles will have hybrid offerings. It's just a matter of when.

At least it seems likely a new Toyota Sienna will be announced and released this year, which will please my wife. Putting a kid and dog into a Honda Civic and 4runner is getting tedious lol.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
reading they delayed it and its looking more like 2022 model released in December of 2021

lets hope that isn't true.

I think Im getting old, lol, getting tired of getting my teeth rattled driving this thing around. winter seems to be tougher, like to everything being cold and stiff.

I have two 60-70lb bags in the back, I may up that some more. I get 12-13 no matter what so who cares, load up some more weight, woohoo.

I read that they may go coils in the back, I would welcome that if done right and I have faith Toyota would do it right.

not sure I'll wait 2 more years for a new truck though so I sure hope this isn't true, I was really hoping for a Chicago auto show debut next month and a 2020 fall on-sale. better ride, more power, and higher quality interior with materials that at least match.

well see I guess

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
For your amusement here is an artist's rendering of what it "might" look like....

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
they need to completely redo the cab, a pillar to too raked, and time to not slant down as you move towards the rear. tired of bending the neck to get in since they put so much rake on the A pillar.

·
Registered
748 Posts
they need to completely redo the cab, a pillar to too raked, and time to not slant down as you move towards the rear. tired of bending the neck to get in since they put so much rake on the A pillar.
One would think that the next generation Tundra would need a significant cab redesign in order to support a hybrid and/or plug-in hybrid model.

Hopefully one of the optional Tundra models will be a plug-in hybrid. With the 2020 Prius "Prime" and the 2021 RAV4 "Prime" it appears that Toyota is moving in the plug-in hybrid direction. The rumored 30 MPG for the next Gen Tundra might actually be achievable with a hybrid and/or plug-in hybrid model. From what I understand, this newer EV/Hybrid technology makes the gas engine more efficient when it is running by combining the gas engine and electric motor systems. In theory, that might even have a positive impact on MPG when towing when it tow/haul mode climbing a mountain or not so steep incline or just cruising without a trailer on the highway. That combination of technology appears to be much more efficient than simply a V6 with twin turbos by itself.

Time will tell if the next gen Tundra has a hybrid and/or plug-in hybrid option in addition to a stand along gas engine. I for one would like to see what capabilities (cargo, towing, tongue weight, MPG, MPGe) a hybrid and/or plug-in hybrid would have and what the cost of a Tundra with those capabilities will be. The Prius Prime gets 25-30 miles from a charge and the RAV4 Prime is estimated to get 40 miles on a charge. With that kind of range (or slightly more) in a Tundra Prime and being able to charge using 110V or 220V at home and use a charging station on the road, this might be a viable answer to some of us. For me personally, a Tundra Prime would simplify my work commute and allow me to retire my commuter car saving me significant $$$$ spent every year on insurance, fuel, registration and repairs. If a Tundra's electric motors gives INSTANT torque to get moving especially when towing and does that MUCH MORE efficiently than any gas engine by itself could ever do that is a HUGE plus for those of us that tow and haul.

At this point, what Toyota does with the next gen Tundra is anyone's guess. Yes two more years at this point kinda sucks. If that time is spent refining and testing the next gen Tundra I can live with that (my Tundra will be 10 model years old by then). Time will tell what happens. In the meantime, I can continue saving some $$$ for whatever my next truck will be.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Hopefully one of the optional Tundra models will be a plug-in hybrid.
I believe that's extremely unlikely anytime soon. For one the Tundra is inherently a low sales volume vehicle, and is not likely to have unique advanced tech. The other is that a plug-in needs to be able to supply all the power and torque needed for basic driving via electric motors, which means the electric part is quite massive, with lots of space and weight added. I doubt the 1/2 ton truck buyer demographic is a good early target for this, or that the 1st hybrid option would be that extensive. I'd expect something a lot more mild, with most of the power supplied by the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I agree, Id be shocked if they go full plug in, they just wouldn't sell enough to even come close to warrant that change

I bet we see the 6 with the turbos. I would rather a bigger 8 personally but lets see what they come out with.

For me, I need a better ride this time around, my tastes have just kinda evolved into wanting a better ride. Part fo the problem is the damn roads around here, they suck so every little bump or crack my truck bounces you. Im going to throw some more weight in the back I think.

off topic but Im kinda interested in the new Tahoe/yukon as well. I was really hoping for a tundra with a better ride maybe via coils in the rear as rumored.

not sure Ill wait two more years though, I guess well see Feb here in Chicago, if its not there than it looks like this new info is correct and its 2 more years.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
The 3.5l v6 turbo seems to be the most consistent rumor. Possibly they are going that route so they can have a similar engine to the Tacoma (shared platform). And then both have basically the same electric option.

My truck bucks like a bronco on some concrete expansion joints. Better rear suspension and a boxed frame would be nice...

·
Registered
323 Posts
The 3.5l v6 turbo seems to be the most consistent rumor. Possibly they are going that route so they can have a similar engine to the Tacoma (shared platform). And then both have basically the same electric option.

My truck bucks like a bronco on some concrete expansion joints. Better rear suspension and a boxed frame would be nice...
Why a boxed frame?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I think a stiff frame works better; let the suspension take care of articualtion rather than a big undamped spring. Flexible frames make sense for HD trucks which need stiff springs to handle the load, but that isn't the case with 1/2 ton trucks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think a stiff frame works better; let the suspension take care of articualtion rather than a big undamped spring. Flexible frames make sense for HD trucks which need stiff springs to handle the load, but that isn't the case with 1/2 ton trucks.
I think it’s more of an opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
it sure is an opinion but its one I agree with. A stiff suspension and flexible frame has its merits, but I think stiffer frame and more compliant suspension should be given a look when they are resigning, it would make for a much smoother ride and still handle the weight.

just my .02

161 - 180 of 181 Posts