Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved from Downtown Chicago to the Country of SE, North Carolina and bought me a 4x4 Tundra. Black 2015 Limited, Lifted on 20" Fuel's wrapped in Toyo Open Country 35's in really nice shape but a few things bugging me and I thought I could find some help here.

One thing in-particular is that when I'm up toward 80-90 MPH :eek: I'm feeling a rattle or shake and vibrations in the steering wheel. Could this just be wheels out of balance or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it came with a custom grill someone put on wrong and I can't find the manufacturer...perhaps when I can post a picture, someone might know.

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I replied on the other thread about the grille. Are you sure those are 35" tires?

Could just be a balance issue.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
how many miles on that beauty?
I am assuming you are talking about the pic of the first gen.

If you hit the quote button, it will post a notification to the poster you are quoting, and also show it in here.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Yes, that is one of the other companies, didn't come up in my search, just the ProZ version (same thing, different label).
@Eric_Schultz19, check the other thread, I am posting a Paramount install video for ya (again, same grille, different label)

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the vibration is not severe, I'd guess its just a result of going 80-90 mph on fairly large all terrain tires. Problem is everyone has a different idea of vibration. Is this your first truck? If you're coming from sedans and suv's the Tundra's gonna feel a little different, especially at speed. Or it may need aligned. Is the front suspension stock?

·
Registered
272 Posts
If the vibration is not severe, I'd guess its just a result of going 80-90 mph on fairly large all terrain tires. Problem is everyone has a different idea of vibration. Is this your first truck? If you're coming from sedans and suv's the Tundra's gonna feel a little different, especially at speed. Or it may need aligned. Is the front suspension stock?
You should not have a vibration at 80 or 90 mph. I had a bad vibration with Toyo RT. I have KO2's now and 100+MPH no vibration at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive had all brands of tires vibrate, usually just matters who set them up initially. Try road force balancing. That took all the guess work out of vibration issues I was experiencing on my LX.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ive had all brands of tires vibrate, usually just matters who set them up initially. Try road force balancing. That took all the guess work out of vibration issues I was experiencing on my LX.
Good point on the "Road Force" . That is one way to not worry if it is the tires or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good point on the "Road Force" . That is one way to not worry if it is the tires or not.
The road force machine should also rule out wheels as well. It will also let you know if a tire is too out of balance to balance smoothly. Had that on 2 KO2s I purchased. Reason I wont be going with BFG next time.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, first truck, drove sedans mostly. I knew it would have a different feel for sure but when it started shaking at 80-85 mph on the highway, i got a bit concerned...it was not just a little shake, it felt like the entire truck was rattling.

Brought to my mechanic for some maintenance it was due and he rebalanced the wheels...said one wheel was 8 oz heavier than the others... that's a lot and he said aftermarket wheels can be like that sometimes. He striped off the old weight and started over...thinks he has them set right but I need to get out and test that. :)

He said the same though, that these are big wheels and they are offset could also contribute to that at higher speeds. Guess I just need to larn not to be in such a hurry all the time. Got to get that laid back country feel going I guess...too much city in me still. :)

Thanks for the note!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts