Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member here. This is my first pickup since my wife and I bought a Toyota pickup as our first car back in 1985. Bought a 2017 TRD PRO double cab in Cement. Tried to post from my phone, but epic fail, so this update/edit....

I've been planning a pickup purchase for a while now, and researching/test driving. Really liked and wanted to go with a Toyota. Tacoma is a nice truck and has grown over the years, but I needed/wanted a full size. My brother in law has a Tacoma quad cab. Is a great truck, but just a bit small for what I want and will use. I Wasn't enamored with the gaudy Chrome on the Tundra, the SR was too bare bones, and the Platinum was too posh. Was considering a Rebel or Ram 2500 with SA package, and almost pulled the trigger on a Power Wagon, but while browsing the used car section of a Porsche dealer of all places, I came across a 2016 PRO in quicksand. Hmmmm.... seemed to scratch all the right itches, so I did a USAA car service inquiry, found one near me, and the rest is history. These seem to keep their value, the 2016 with 11K miles was only 2K cheaper than the one I got new. I like the tough simplicity of the SR5 package with the unique interior, and of course the Performance additions the TRD PRO makes. Perfect balance of what I was looking for and need. Wasn't really interested in the Ram 1500 trucks, wont own a GM produce (the company that killed Oldsmobile.... Then Saab, then Saturn, the ONLY GM brands I have owned, and liked). I still have a G Body Cutlass and C Saab 900. NOT a Ford man, so this left Dodge, though my first interest was Toyota. SO in short, I'm super happy with the TRD PRO and plan to keep it 20+ years.

I liked the idea of the Crew Max, but figure the times I miss more backseat room will be less frequent than I will miss bedspace. I also like the look of the double cab a bit more, though do wish it had the full rear window gig the CM does. One of my buddies has a double cab, and I rode in the back going to a few baseball games and had plenty of space. As I'm the biggest Muldoon in my family, and will be driving, my kids and grandkids and occasional adult will have no issues in the rear seat of the DC.

I plan to add the Road master Active suspension springs to help with the softness/sag of the TRD P springs under load. We added these to my dads Silverado, and they really are magic, particularly with axle hop and sag when loaded. Other than a set of front COCO mats, few other additions. Came with the bed rail system and spray in liner, may consider a T cover or some type or OEM underseat rear storage. Truck also came with the TRD OEM air filter, looks to NOT be the oil/gauze type, probably AEM or such.

I really DONT need the Pro 'off road' package, don't do the rock climbing thing, but do go on back/muddy roads/and beach frequently & as the Army occasionally sends me to snowy destinations, need the 4WD & ability to tow what I want. I went with the TRD PRO for the better performance, on road ride, capability of FWD when needed, and the looks/performance of the PRO. Not worried about gas mileage, as my Name suggests, I ride motorcycles 80% of the time. I've been driving Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee/Commander the last 30 years, and happy to be in a pickup truck. Will be interesting to see how the PRO compares to my Commander off road.

Look forward to learning and contributing to the Forum.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.