Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post and reading through lots of threads within the last couple of months, it seems like a lot of good info here. So sorry if I sound like Debby Downer, but I have not had this many problems with any of my other 12 trucks as I've had within the first 1000 miles of my brand new bone stock 2013 crewmax 4x4.

Started off the first day I bought it. As I was pulling into my garage, I hear this clunking noise as I was turning my steering wheel. I put it in park and started turning in both directions and clunking both sides. So far I've taken it in 3 times for the clunking and they have had to call toyota for their techs to come out twice. They have loosened and retorqued suspension components, but it's still occurring. I am taking it back in tomorrow for yet another toyota tech.

Also seems like I'm having an intermittent bump stop. Once I thought I was rear ended and there were no other cars around me. They could not verify this as it's an intermittent (3 times) problem. I really liked this truck and it's by far the smoothest riding truck I've ever had. Maybe this one's just a lemon. It does leave a poor taste in my mouth though. Hopefully it'll all be fixed tomorrow and be a great truck after all. I already bought a lift, tires/wheels, steps, and a grill and I have not been able to install anything yet in case I have to demand a buy back.

So sorry for a bad introduction. Lots of great info here though!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
hey welcome to TT from wa state, there are a few people who end up in your shoes... but as unfortunate as that is there are more happy customers then pissed off ones. the tundra ain't perfect but its an amazing truck. If I were in your shoes I would be pissed off to, I hope that yourpatience holds up and they get your truck up and running properly, or buy it back and sell you a different one. hppe everything works out

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't blame you for being angry at all. I had a Z71 back in the late 90's that did me dirty like that. I will tell you that I've probably had 10 trucks, and my Yotas have been the cream of the crop. I think you're doing the right thing, keeping it stock until it is resolved. I really hope they get you taken care of, because I think you'll love it if they do. Please keep us updated. Also, do you mind letting us know what factory it came from? I know there are some (at least one) guy(s) on here that work at the San Antonio plant.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, do you mind letting us know what factory it came from? I know there are some (at least one) guy(s) on here that work at the San Antonio plant.
Sure. On the sales sticker, it says, "Port/Plant: San Antonio, TX/TMMTX."

Between my wife and I, we've had 20 vehicles and this would make lemon law#3. I sure hope not though! Do you think there's any relation to which factory? I thought all Tundras were from the same Texas plant?

·
Registered
110 Posts
factory

Sure. On the sales sticker, it says, "Port/Plant: San Antonio, TX/TMMTX."

Between my wife and I, we've had 20 vehicles and this would make lemon law#3. I sure hope not though! Do you think there's any relation to which factory? I thought all Tundras were from the same Texas plant?
I was just curious, really. I thought maybe a guy on the thread that works there could have some insight on this matter. My brother has an 07 CM 4x4 from the Indiana factory, but I think they may all be made in S.A. now. Okay, I confirmed that, they're all made in the Texas plant now. They stopped producing trucks at the Indiana plant in 07. Maybe somebody with a bit more info will l see this thread. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
nothing wrong with being p/o about things not working right. As a consumer you have every right to be upset. You bought it for whatever reason, certainly not for it to give you problems. Hope they sort things out for you soon if not trade your for one that doesn't have the issues you're having now

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
the bump is the trans dropping into first... It is normal

I have to ask, what vehicle are you coming from to the Tundra?

This will lend a lot of insight to your issues.

if you had a 3/4 speed truck before you will feel a bump when you stop. I explained this in another thread.

Most look behind them thinking they were hit, but realize they are on a road all alone....

It is normal.

The garage clunk is abnormal however and could be an issue... Dunno without seeing it.

could be as simple as loose lug nuts or loose steering components. or you are hearing a hydraulic valve pop pressure relief off as you steer in your garage at low speed...

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome and sorry for the issues. If whatever dealership you are using continue to send you home unhappy, go to another. I have done this and been very pleased. Once these issues are resolved for you, you'll love your new truck.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
the bump is the trans dropping into first... It is normal
The trans drops into first after being at a complete stop for 10+ seconds and not starting to move forward?

That's my experience with the drive line bump. If it's the trans dropping into first I doubt Toyota would be replacing drive shafts because of it.

I had the drive line bump happen to me maybe 5 times in my first 5k miles or so. I can't recall it happening since then. I'm at 11k now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, they cancelled on me for today. Apparently Toyota is researching my problem and discussing the best solution. I'm actually OK with this so they can actually repair whatever it is that's going on with the steering. At first they said it was probably the infamous steering rack issue, but then started working on the suspension. They have had a stethoscope and other diagnostic tools and dies trying to figure out what is binding and obviously it hasn't worked.

Regarding the bump stop. All my other vehicles have been trucks and I've only had 1 other truck do this, an F150. It was a driveline issue and the slip yolk needed a special lube for the spindles and it fixed the problem. I brought this up to the dealership and they said the new drivelines are updated from the past with the driveline issues and not able to lube the yolk. I am confident it's not a tranny issue, but who knows.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Drive shaft replaced 2 on mine due to bump from behind, the other clunk on turning is not common unless you have a lift and everything not torqued right. But the behind bump might slowly go away as well after some driving. I have an 07 so older shafts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts