Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guy‘s information has really been helpful. So I joined.

We have owned Toyota since we bought our first used Camry in 2004. We‘ve had Highlanders 2012, 2019 and currently 2021. But, that is we, I have had Fords. I bought my first Tundra in January after several Ford trucks. I like it so far. The gas mileage sucks but that will be far outweighed when I am not in the shop.

So I got a new Granite 2021 Toyota Tundra Limited is in the driveway.

I love the the way the premium JBL system works but think the sound really sucks. From reading in this forum I think that only the HU and front speakers are JBL. The rest is cheap plastic toys.

I have seen mention of switching out the subwoofer to something better. I have seen conflicting information but I put eyes on my sub yesterday. It is an awful cheap looking single coil speaker that I would not hook up to anything. After some research I ordered a Kicker dual coil 4 ohm subwoofer for about $80 with tax. I plan to hook the two 4 ohm coils up in parallel to get the required 2 ohm impedance. I am not looking to vibrate the glass but I need more depth to the sound.

I plan to install the new subwoofer this coming weekend and may share the results here or another post.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
You are going to add an amp, yes?

Deciphering and cleaning up/correcting the input signal seems to be the hardest part of modding a JBL system in our trucks.

And the factory JBL bass sucks donkey balls, and by that, I mean sweaty donkey balls, so does the volume.

Got a $55k truck, and you can't do 45 with all 5 windows down and actually hear the music. Garbage system.

I will say it has clarity with windows up, as long as you aren't trying to rock out. Not any worse than most trucks factory systems, and better than most base systems, but Ram, GM, and Ford's upper echelon trucks stereos kick the Yota/JBL's ass in that department. In a Platinum, you should have a great sounding stereo system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You are going to add an amp, yes?

Deciphering and cleaning up/correcting the input signal seems to be the hardest part of modding a JBL system in our trucks.

And the factory JBL bass sucks donkey balls, and by that, I mean sweaty donkey balls, so does the volume.

Got a $55k truck, and you can't do 45 with all 5 windows down and actually hear the music. Garbage system.

I will say it has clarity with windows up, as long as you aren't trying to rock out. Not any worse than most trucks factory systems, and better than most base systems, but Ram, GM, and Ford's upper echelon trucks stereos kick the Yota/JBL's ass in that department. In a Platinum, you should have a great sounding stereo system.
Completely agree. The very first thing I did with mine was upgrade all the speakers, added a 5 channel amp and a decent subwoofer. Sounds sooooo much better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts