Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my name is chris. I have neen into the whole rice racer thing for a long time but now I decided to sell my civic and I went and bought a 2013 4.6 mag grey tundra 4x4 double cab. I mever keep my vehicles stock. I like to add my own flavor and really make it mine. So I dont know much about lifts but I want to get a nice lift and wheels. I probably wont do much offroading. Things I need help with are-

-whats a good 6" lift?

- I want to run 35" tires....good brand?

-I really like the fuel hostage rims. Looking at getting them in 20" is it possible to have a nice size, maybe 4" offset?

- will I have to regear my transmission? Or have to do amy other modification than putting the lift on?

- also how much with my mpg be affected.? Sticker says I get 14mpg city currently

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
............go get the 5.7
there is no comparison for the $ invested.
then look at all of the things you want to do.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you go for the 35" tires you definitely want to re-gear with the 4.6

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your Tundra. The mods you are thinking of doing will affect your mpg and power. Unfortunately, the power decrease is more noticeable in a 4.6 than than in a 5.7, hence the comments about 5.7. But if you don't go to extremes, you should be okay. 4.6 is pretty powerful engine.

Reactions: TundraTigger

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I think with the 4.6 I would opt for a 3/1 level, your Fuel wheels of choice, and some A/T tires. What's nice is the Tundra already rides pretty high. Then you can debadge, color match stuff, fool around with the BHLM, rear sway bar, Tonnu-Cover, blah blah blah....

Congrats on the truck. If the six inch is a must, the Pro-Comp lift if installed at a 4Wheel Parts comes with a warranty on drivetrain. That's enticing for sure.

If you go with a 35, regear for sure. 4.88 is probably the best bet to get some pep back and retain a bit of decent gas mileage.

·
Registered
415 Posts
^^^ This.

Welcome to the forum

Reactions: 7undra13

·
Registered
486 Posts
The 4.6L will be just fine if you level it and maybe go up one tire size. If you want a 6" lift and 35" tires, you have two options: 1) spend $1800 in parts/labor to regear, or 2) go get a 5.7L.

I have a 4.6L leveled with 33" DuraTracs and I can definitely feel the performance hit when climbing the mountain passes. With stock all-terrain tires, the truck has plenty of power. Don't get me wrong, it's not a slug with 33s, but it keeps downshifting to utilize higher RPMs. I can't imagine running 35s on the 4.6L with stock gears.

Congrats on your new Tundra and welcome to TT

Reactions: COCampfire

·
Registered
830 Posts
My 4.6 downshifts to 4th on a number of hills with stock tires. I don't mind (much) as it turns nice and slow on flat ground. 1,600rpm or so at 60-65mph. I'm thinking taller tires for the OP means either a regearing or not using 6th until going much faster.

OP, do you have the tow package? IIRC it's 3.9:1 non-tow, and 4.1:1 for tow on the 4.6's. I'd think a 5.7 with tow package is better for you, since it'll have reasonably deep gearing, 4.3:1's. OTOH, if you're not towing, and you're aiming for tall tires, then it's likely you wanted even deeper, in which case it's a moot point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts