Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wats up everyone calls me Brignac or Brig for short I am 24 years old I live in Gulfport ms. I have always been a Toyota fan and owner my first truck and favorite was a 1984 Toyota single cab 4x4 with the old reliable 22r motor on 33's. Was a beast but RIP! Thanks to a drunk driver back in 2006. Second truck was a 2002 tacoma ext cab 3.4 v6 with a 4" lift and 33's on 18's. Had a few bolt on mods on it k&n cai, jba headers, magna flow exhaust. Then from there I sold it and bought my most resent a 04 tundra double cab limited 4x4. Still all stock except for leveling kit and 32.5 bfg a/t. Have owned it for going on 3 years. I joined this site to research and find what kind of bolt on parts are recommended to provide better MPG's BC right now I'm sitting at 12-14 mpg at best. I know intakes help a little not much tho and exhaust wld a little as well. Maybe increase HP a little as well. So that being said what do ya'll recommend?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Howdy from down the street

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Welcome aboard...unfortunately on all Tundra's you really are not going to improve your mpg with any mods other than your driving habits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard...unfortunately on all Tundra's you really are not going to improve your mpg with any mods other than your driving habits.
Yeah I've read thru a lot of forum stuff and I have kind of figured that out. But most of the stuff I have read is pretty old like 2008-2010 stuff so didn't know if anything has changed. What CAI's are recommended. To be honest I don't like k&n I have used them before (not on tundra tho) just think they are very generic looking and yes I know they are pretty much the original but still. Thinking about buying the Volant??? I would love to get the TRD but way to expensive around the $400 range that's redick! Volant is around $260.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
All of the CAI are pretty much the same with regard to "performance increases." Don't expect to get more than maybe 5-7 extra HP from one, I only have one because I like the sound and the reusable filter. Also, I would not put too much stock in how a CAI looks since I would assume your hood will be shut almost 100% of the time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of the CAI are pretty much the same with regard to "performance increases." Don't expect to get more than maybe 5-7 extra HP from one, I only have one because I like the sound and the reusable filter. Also, I would not put too much stock in how a CAI looks since I would assume your hood will be shut almost 100% of the time :rolleyes:
Touché! But still its a personal thing lol. Yeah I know there's not much of performance gains. On my last truck the 02 Tacoma I put k&n cai, headers, and exhaust and hardly noticed a difference at all. The main reason I want a cai and exhaust is completely based on sound. U can hardly hear the truck is on wen everything is stock lol.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Touché! But still its a personal thing lol. Yeah I know there's not much of performance gains. On my last truck the 02 Tacoma I put k&n cai, headers, and exhaust and hardly noticed a difference at all. The main reason I want a cai and exhaust is completely based on sound. U can hardly hear the truck is on wen everything is stock lol.
ha...if you really want to "hear" your truck then go get a 2007+ with the 5.7, even when mine was stock, you could hear the nearly 400 ponies making noise when you got on her (that is if you could hear it over the tires spinning); with my CAI and my exhaust it is only better. Good luck with whatever you decide on man, it will sound better either way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha...if you really want to "hear" your truck then go get a 2007+ with the 5.7, even when mine was stock, you could hear the nearly 400 ponies making noise when you got on her (that is if you could ov it over the tires spinning); with my CAI and my exhaust it is only better. Good luck with whatever you decide on man, it will sound better either way.
Trust me if I had the money I wld definitely trade mine in on one. But I will tell I I wish Toyota wld go back to the "most fuel efficient vehicle" status. I'm not perticularly a dodge fan but the1500 hemi gets abt 4 more mpgs over the tundra with just slightly less HP and towing capabilities.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
First, the Tundra gets closest to the advertised MPG than any other truck I have seen. Dodge may advertise 4 mpg more than Toyota but you are not likely to actually see that. Second, these are trucks and trucks are made for hauling. The 1500 series gets it's slightly better MPG rating from having a higher 2nd gear than the Tundra, that is all fine and dandy when you are going to church and looking to conserve fuel, however, it will hurt performance when hauling a load. Go look at independent testing and you will see that the Tundra beats the Dodge every time in every important "truck" category, especially towing. Plus, you would have to give me at least 10 extra MPG over the Tundra to get me to buy a POS Dodge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First, the Tundra gets closest to the advertised MPG than any other truck I have seen. Dodge may advertise 4 mpg more than Toyota but you are not likely to actually see that. Second, these are trucks and trucks are made for hauling. The 1500 series gets it's slightly better MPG rating from having a higher 2nd gear than the Tundra, that is all fine and dandy when you are going to church and looking to conserve fuel, however, it will hurt performance when hauling a load. Go look at independent testing and you will see that the Tundra beats the Dodge every time in every important "truck" category, especially towing. Plus, you would have to give me at least 10 extra MPG over the Tundra to get me to buy a POS Dodge.
I agree with ur response I have always and will always be a proud owner of a Toyota truck trust me between my friend and I we have owned every generation Toyota 4runner, pickup, tacoma, and tundra (except 07&up tundra) and only BC I'm not in a place to purchase one just yet. We haven't owned the hilux either but only BC its impossible to find lol. I was using dodge only BC Chevy is garbage and ford is pulling everything they can just to be able to keep up with toyota. To tell u the truth I wld go into serious debt willingly if tundra would release the diesel dually concept!!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts