Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
Just got a new set of tires from costco for my 2012 Tundra base model with a 4.6 V8.
I have installed a set of aluminum stock wheels given to me by a friend so I opted for the a little bigger 275/65r18 Michelin Defender instead of the old 255/70r18 I had on the steel wheels.
The guys at Costco told me and wrote it on my receipt that the tires I bought are not recommended for my truck. I wonder what it means what my owner manual said :
2012 tundra specifications tire and wheels: type A /type B /type C ?
Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Those tires are most certainly ok for your truck, as they are the stock size on the models without the steel wheels. They are the same height, only a little wider than the 255's. You will not have any trouble concerning the size.

·
Registered
14,804 Posts
In dealing with the Costco Tire Department at our local store I found them to be very much 'by the book' when it comes to tire selection.
They have actually refused to sell us tires that did not meet certain guidelines and manufacturers specifications for our vehicles.
I'm surprised they deviated from their policy in your case.

As stated above, those tires are fine for your vehicle. The issue is that Costco wants to cover their a$$ just in case you have a problem with those tires in the future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah! That`s what I am afraid of...in fact at another Costco location they previously refused to install them on my truck because they said the size did not match what`s marked on the sticker on the door pillar...
But what it means what my owner manual says???
Is my truck type A or type B or type C ? Or can I use any of those???
Type A is P255/70R18 112T wheel size18X8J
Type B is P275/65R18 114T wheel size18X8J
Type C is P275/55R20 111H wheel size 20X8J

And on their web site my truck with aluminum wheels actually list the size to be what I got on now!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You can use any of those 3 as they were all stock sizes. Type A must be for the steel wheels, Type B is for the alloy wheels, and type C is for all of their 20" wheels.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yeah! That`s what I am afraid of...in fact at another Costco location they previously refused to install them on my truck because they said the size did not match what`s marked on the sticker on the door pillar...
But what it means what my owner manual says???
Is my truck type A or type B or type C ? Or can I use any of those???
Type A is P255/70R18 112T wheel size18X8J
Type B is P275/65R18 114T wheel size18X8J
Type C is P275/55R20 111H wheel size 20X8J

And on their web site my truck with aluminum wheels actually list the size to be what I got on now!
Specifically, type B is standard on the trucks with the TRD Off Road Package. It is the only time you will find this size stock.

Type A comes on every other truck with 18" wheels, whether alloy or not.

Type C is the 20" wheel option from the factory on the Limited Trim and above.

There are other "stock" sizes as well, for the GST trucks with the TSS packages and other things we don't get here up in New England.

There is also the TRD Rock Warrior size too, 285/70R17, which came stock on the Rock Warrior trim trucks from 2009-2013.

You can run any of these and will be 100% fine, as long as you use the appropriate size stock wheel, or a properly sized and offset aftermarket wheel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The factory size on my truck is P275/65R18 (32.1" dia.). I wanted to go up to LT275/70R18 (33.2" dia.). Asked my local Costco and they said no problem, as long as pre-approved by the manager of the tire department (which was easy to get). However, if trying to install a really large or wide tire requiring trimming to fit, Costco probably wouldn't be the place to go.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Hopefully you have the correct lug nuts.

That is more important than the tire size that they were worried about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you my cyber friends.
I guess I won't worry about my tires anymore...maybe I will install some Bilstein shocks to feel better.. and maybe I will feel less bumps on the road...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.