Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Plan installing a Polk db6501 component set and had a question about the installation. I have a non jbl system. I'm going to put the tweeters in the sail panel and change out the front speakers and power them with a jl 300/4. The factory dash speakers will still work since the speakers are in parallel? Should I disconnect the factory tweeters entirely?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, disconnect them. They are inferior and will only possibly hurt the sound. I would recommend putting the tweeters up on the dash first and see if you like the sound. It could save you the trouble of putting them in the sails. Use 3m tape and try both spots first.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you are running them off the OEM HU, might as well give it try to see if you like it. I am running components with the tweeter in the sail panels but also running aftermarket tweeters off a Pioneer HU in the dash. I tried it both ways and found mixing metal and silk tweeters gave me the sound I liked but it also pushed the sound stage further back with them up on the dash. Most audiophiles will say mixing tweeters or running two sets is bad but try it for yourself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you are running them off the OEM HU, might as well give it try to see if you like it. I am running components with the tweeter in the sail panels but also running aftermarket tweeters off a Pioneer HU in the dash. I tried it both ways and found mixing metal and silk tweeters gave me the sound I liked but it also pushed the sound stage further back with them up on the dash. Most audiophiles will say mixing tweeters or running two sets is bad but try it for yourself.
audiophiles or every day joe, test test test. No one can tell you what sounds good to you. Every one has different tastes. With them already there I guess you can try with them, I would say you will probably not like them or even hear them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using an alpine I've-w535hd for a head unit, figured it would be easier to mount them in sails instead of running new wires through the dash

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm using an alpine I've-w535hd for a head unit, figured it would be easier to mount them in sails instead of running new wires through the dash

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Running wires for the dash is simple. You can simply drop them down to the floor through the top. You then just run them up behind the radio.

To test them though there is no reason to go through all that work. You simply run the wires on the outside of the dash from the crossover.

·
Registered
232 Posts
does your deck have high pass filters built in? how did you control what signal you were sending the tweets? i was thinking of doing this...i guess you can always get those inline "bass blockers"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts