Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 2008 has 124k miles on it so I went ahead and had the plugs changed. Dealer wanted almost $300 so I took it to a friend who is a mechanic. He replaced them much cheaper with the denso iridium plugs.

The interesting part is, the truck had regular Bosch plugs in it. I bought it in 2011 with 40k miles on it and have had no issues with the way it runs. I had read all the stuff about changing plugs and had planned on replacing with the factory plugs, and I'm about positive these plugs weren't from the factory. Perhaps the previous owner relaxed them at 40k miles before trading it in. Just found it interesting that mine had run for years with no problems, and I guess I'm kind of lucky that I had been running regular plugs for almost 80k miles!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well my 2008 has 124k miles on it so I went ahead and had the plugs changed. Dealer wanted almost $300 so I took it to a friend who is a mechanic. He replaced them much cheaper with the denso iridium plugs.

The interesting part is, the truck had regular Bosch plugs in it. I bought it in 2011 with 40k miles on it and have had no issues with the way it runs. I had read all the stuff about changing plugs and had planned on replacing with the factory plugs, and I'm about positive these plugs weren't from the factory. Perhaps the previous owner relaxed them at 40k miles before trading it in. Just found it interesting that mine had run for years with no problems, and I guess I'm kind of lucky that I had been running regular plugs for almost 80k miles!!
I had to change my plugs recently, it cost me 30 bucks. Only took a hour due to some issues, but the most interesting thing happened when I removed 1 of them tho. It was broken in half, thank God that I put in the magnet thinking it was ready to come out cause that would have been bad to fall into the engine. Well it explained why I was having missfires

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear we're you're coming from but I'm seasoned enough to know when you had to change your points and condenser along with your plugs, it would really make a difference. With precision ignition timing you don't have to worry about plugs like you used too. I pulled a 9000 lbs trailer during those miles with being about 20k in total. New system ignition isn't the same as 20 years ago.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently changed my plugs on my 2011 RW DC as I had just over 100k miles. I could tell the truck idles smoother and runs smoother as well. Since I commute 120 miles round trip during the week, I routinely drive the truck and know I usually average 12.5mpg due to my lift and 35" MT tires. After changing plugs and hand calculating mpg, I picked up just over 0.5mpg over 4 tanks. Not a lot, but when your already getting less due to the lift and tires it all adds up. I'm looking to eventually get DAP tuned and if I pick up 2-3mpg as most people report seeing, I could get closer to what I was getting when I was stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.