Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next project shocks...06 double cab...

Looking at the Bilstein 5100's.
Can I just bolt these in, adjust to the mid height setting and get a little front lift without doing anything else?

Is it really that simple?
Just fyi..I do a lot of two track prairie driving across North Dakota all fall so it does see some rough trail conditions at times,.
Thoughts and ideas from anyone running these...

· Premium Member
1,980 Posts
They are a bolt on part, you just need to have the springs taken off the stock units and installed on the 5100s at the height selection of your choice. There are 5 notches to choose from for ride height, your actual lift over stock will vary since you have a double cab and most guys running 5100s have an access cab. Double cabs achieve slightly less lift but the leveling effect is still there.

I personally don't like to mess with spring compressors when it comes to truck springs. Something with small springs like a Honda Civic no problem but truck springs are harder to compress. If it were me I'd unbolt the stock set up, take it to a shop to handle the spring swap, then go home to install. You'll need to unbolt the sway bar, and there's three bolts on the top of the coilover, one at the bottom. It's about 3 steps more than changing a tire.

Reactions: 06 Tundra Iowa

· Registered
1,426 Posts
The 5100s are nice. But if it was me, and you are planning to do some hard off roading/trail get some coilovers. Fox, fabtech, camburn, S.A.W., icon. I need new shocks on my 2001 and I think it's time to replace a lot of the suspension. The truck is just over 10yrs old.

My next month is going to be spent in the drive way replacing old parts. Time for some real coilovers, upper control arms, ball joints, brakes etc. In the rear not sure if I'm going to leave it or do AAL. I might leave it and go prerunner haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.