Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at new shocks for my 2008 double can with a 7" bds lift. Unthinking red decided on a full bilstein set up. 5165s for the rear, specifically the 25-187717s and the 6112s or the 5100s for the fronts. These shocks will fit my truck with my lift correct. Just want to double check before I spend the money!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do the foxs! My brother has icons,,,, they are a. Joke,,, I have had two tundras with the foxs from bds!!! Sold my first and went the same route the second time!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Harsh ride, leaky, rusty,,, how many icons do you see in the real racing scene! Just saying,, don't waste your money,, the foxes are built with for the bds kit,,, if anything go with Kings,,, icons are pretty hyped up on the past threads,,, all hype from what I have seen

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
New shocks with 7" bds lift

Harsh ride, leaky, rusty,,, how many icons do you see in the real racing scene! Just saying,, don't waste your money,, the foxes are built with for the bds kit,,, if anything go with Kings,,, icons are pretty hyped up on the past threads,,, all hype from what I have seen

Do you have any actual experience with them or just going by hear say? Asking because I'm currently in the market for a set and trying to soak up all the information I can.

·
Registered
577 Posts
@Leks

Icons are hype. I have ridden in my buddies truck with a 6in lift and the icon coilovers...rode way harsher than 5100's, almost as bad as running a 3in spacer up front. They had a small drip that eventually lead them to failing. Not to mention how shitty they are to work on....It is rather stupid difficult to work on the icons. Oh he also had the icon piggy backs in the rear and those DID start to rust out and were shitty offroad...bucked like crazy, no dampening at all. Save your money on the icons, go fox or king.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
New shocks with 7" bds lift

@Leks

Icons are hype. I have ridden in my buddies truck with a 6in lift and the icon coilovers...rode way harsher than 5100's, almost as bad as running a 3in spacer up front. They had a small drip that eventually lead them to failing. Not to mention how shitty they are to work on....It is rather stupid difficult to work on the icons. Oh he also had the icon piggy backs in the rear and those DID start to rust out and were shitty offroad...bucked like crazy, no dampening at all. Save your money on the icons, go fox or king.

Unfortunate as the icons look like a quality set. Currently waiting to hear from Keith for a quote on the kings. My dilemma is the kings being blue. I would need to custom order a set which is a good amount more considering king doesn't have an option for a black spring. I would need to get the spring powder coated black separately. Fox does a set for the bds 7" only which I believe would work on my 6" but hear they ride on the firm side and fox couldn't confirm that I could keep my 6 inches of lift. The shop I spoke to said there's a good chance I'd be an inch higher at the lowest setting.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Icons are not shit. I have the stage 7 coilovers on my truck and came from the bilstein 5100's. They don't even compare in ride quality. The icons may feel a little stiffer at low speeds though because the first inch or two of travel has more resistance but it helps with body roll on the highway. I love them and have been very happy with them. They soak up everything while you are cruising and it feels like the faster you go the softer they feel. As far as coilovers in general, you cannot go wrong with Icon, Fox, King or ADS. They are all high quality, BUT, they will all corrode the same if not properly maintained and cleaned. It's not just an issue common to one brand over another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts