Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally pulled the trigger and it was my birthday. Here is what I got.

Will try and get a few pics if I get time.

Install went pretty smooth. I pulled out the 6 disk headunit from my SR5 Crewmax and got to work. Started taking out the panels which was pretty easy.

Soldered in the install harness to the headunit wiring harness, and wired in the parking brake bypass.

Ran the wires for the microphone to the passenger side and up to the roof console. Ran the wire to the reverse sense line over to the passenger kick panel, lowest white connector, blue wire.

Then I took off my plastic bedliner on the tailgate and the plate on the tailgate.

I decided to run the ignition +12V from the HU harness to the tailgate for use with the backup camera. I routed it to the passenger side and to the grommett in the rear right passenger floorplan. I ran the ground wire for the camera from the passenger kickpanel ground wires. Of course, ran the RCA video cable from the HU to the tailgate using the same path. Once that was run, I used zip ties to attach it along the existing wire harness.

I then took on of the dash blanks and used a dremel to cut out a hold for the USB connector.

I also ohm'd out the aux connector pinout. What I found was the following.
Audio L = BLACK
Audio R = Red or Pink
Ground = White

FYI, For the standard audio jack,
Tip: Left
Center Ring: Right
Base: Ground

I cut the HU side of that 20 pin connector and then soldered the 3 wires above to a 1/8th inch audio jack for use of plugging into the back of the HU.

I then verified the HU operation,
Speakers
USB
Aux input
Camera/Reverse wire/parking brake bypass.

Then I drilled a hole for the camera in the existing handle. After removing the bracket on the camera, I ended up using some aluminum I had to mold a bracket and then using epoxy to attach it. I sealed it up with some silicone clear sealant after getting it lined up. It is nice and solid now.

So far, I am loving it. I considered just getting a bluetooth module but with I love the integration into the stereo + bluetooth streaming/pandora. I have a samsung galaxy note which is running great.

Not a bad days work. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks for the write up as I am installing a Pioneer X3500BHS tomorrow and this has given me some valuable insight. How does that camera work at night?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the write up as I am installing a Pioneer X3500BHS tomorrow and this has given me some valuable insight. How does that camera work at night?
I really haven't used it much at night. I am out of town but will be back tomorrow. I will try and remember to snap a pick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
looks like it does a pretty good job. The night one I guess looks good enough to see if there is anything there before you back up .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been happy with it. At night, I think it is good enough to see if something is there. Some of the resolution loss is from my camera phone.

·
Registered
232 Posts
sounds like a pretty involved install....i guess running wires from the back of your truck (exterior) to the dash (interior) shouldtn be that easy though

i was considering this eventually

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
OK so what's the story with the reverse sensor wire on the passenger side? I have a pioneer avh-p2400 and I want to add a camera. So you ran a power wire and the rca wires from the camera to the back of the head unit? And then a reverse sensor wire from the back of the head unit to the passenger kick panel? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so what's the story with the reverse sensor wire on the passenger side? I have a pioneer avh-p2400 and I want to add a camera. So you ran a power wire and the rca wires from the camera to the back of the head unit? And then a reverse sensor wire from the back of the head unit to the passenger kick panel? Thanks for the help!
Exactly!:)

You can tap the ground connection in the passenger kick panel if you want instead of running it all the way up to the HU.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a followup. I had to move the microphone from the ceiling console to my visor. I kept getting complaints of people not being able to hear me well. I may move it down on the dash since the visor look adhoc.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Thanks man. I'll be putting one in pretty soon so I may have to come back here if I need help!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey dee, I'm getting ready to install my camera on Friday. You say you tapped the blue wire in the lowest white connector in the passenger kickpanel right? Do we all have that wire? Or is that wire only there if you had a factory camera? The rest of the install seems pretty straight forward, but I'm definitely concerned with the reverse wire part of it. Sorry to basically ask a question you already addressed, but I wanna make SURE I have it right!

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey dee, I'm getting ready to install my camera on Friday. You say you tapped the blue wire in the lowest white connector in the passenger kickpanel right? Do we all have that wire? Or is that wire only there if you had a factory camera? The rest of the install seems pretty straight forward, but I'm definitely concerned with the reverse wire part of it. Sorry to basically ask a question you already addressed, but I wanna make SURE I have it right!

Thanks!
Yes, we all do. I don't have a factory camera. Have fun!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm hoping to get this exact head unit at some point this winter. Do you have steering wheel controls in your truck? If so, I'm wondering what adapter you used and how well it works as far as making phone calls and stuff

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haven't tried my Bluetooth yet or Pandora, but it's a nice unit. Not so sure I like the Navteq maps though over Garmin.they are accurate enough, just barebones looking maps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I'm hoping to get this exact head unit at some point this winter. Do you have steering wheel controls in your truck? If so, I'm wondering what adapter you used and how well it works as far as making phone calls and stuff
I have a steering control harnes for the pioneer that im selling from Crutchfield for $90 but I can let it go a little cheaper

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger and it was my birthday. Here is what I got.

Will try and get a few pics if I get time.

Install went pretty smooth. I pulled out the 6 disk headunit from my SR5 Crewmax and got to work. Started taking out the panels which was pretty easy.

Soldered in the install harness to the headunit wiring harness, and wired in the parking brake bypass.

Ran the wires for the microphone to the passenger side and up to the roof console. Ran the wire to the reverse sense line over to the passenger kick panel, lowest white connector, blue wire.

Then I took off my plastic bedliner on the tailgate and the plate on the tailgate.

I decided to run the ignition +12V from the HU harness to the tailgate for use with the backup camera. I routed it to the passenger side and to the grommett in the rear right passenger floorplan. I ran the ground wire for the camera from the passenger kickpanel ground wires. Of course, ran the RCA video cable from the HU to the tailgate using the same path. Once that was run, I used zip ties to attach it along the existing wire harness.

I then took on of the dash blanks and used a dremel to cut out a hold for the USB connector.

I also ohm'd out the aux connector pinout. What I found was the following.
Audio L = BLACK
Audio R = Red or Pink
Ground = White

FYI, For the standard audio jack,
Tip: Left
Center Ring: Right
Base: Ground

I cut the HU side of that 20 pin connector and then soldered the 3 wires above to a 1/8th inch audio jack for use of plugging into the back of the HU.

I then verified the HU operation,
Speakers
USB
Aux input
Camera/Reverse wire/parking brake bypass.

Then I drilled a hole for the camera in the existing handle. After removing the bracket on the camera, I ended up using some aluminum I had to mold a bracket and then using epoxy to attach it. I sealed it up with some silicone clear sealant after getting it lined up. It is nice and solid now.

So far, I am loving it. I considered just getting a bluetooth module but with I love the integration into the stereo + bluetooth streaming/pandora. I have a samsung galaxy note which is running great.

Not a bad days work. :)
Ok ive been trying for days to get my backup camera to wirk and still cant get it. I think im not getting enough power because the camera I have has the led's on it and they come on but barely. I connected it to the stock camera harness. Did u use the RCA provided with the camera? Can you take some pics of your connections? Im really frustrated why I cant get this to work!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts