Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of dealing with cheap plastic phone mounts that shook, rattled or fell off when I drove in my 2011 Tundra. So, when I got the 2020, I decided to install a proper phone mount.

I went with the following:

• Proclip Mount Base (with AMPS pattern mounting) for 2020 Tundra proclipusa.com
  • RAM Mounts Ball Adapter (for 1"/25mm or "B" size) with AMPS plate rammount.com
  • RAM Mounts Short Double Socket Arm (for 1"/25mm or "B" size ball) rammount.com
  • iBolt 1"/25mm to 17mm ball adapter iboltmounts.com

The phone holder, which has a ball mount socket, I had from my old mount and is from Beam Electronics (you can find it on Amazon). Phone Mount from Amazon

This thing is rock solid!! Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks.

P.S. I use a coiled charge cord - it really cleans up the look. Coiled Charge Cord from Amazon
P.S.S. The phone is an iPhone 8 Plus in a Pelican Voyager Case
P.S.S.S. I am replacing the silver screws with Black. (It's all I had at the time)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like what you did but, man you gotta go wireless charging.
I didn’t think it would be a big deal. Then I had a phone jack issue and got a wireless charger, no way I’ll ever go back to a wire to connect my phone. May seem minor until you use it.
One in the truck and one on the night stand.
The one I bought is sold out on Amazon so I can’t post a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the Pelican case (pretty thick) on the phone, wireless charging is hit or miss. My night stand charger at home works, but the one I had in my last truck didn't work at all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Running a 12" gooseneck with 17mm proclip amps ball and a zeehoo wireless charger. Power supply is run under center console back into the center box to a power outlet.

Phone is a pixel 5 with a spigen 2 part case (soft inside, hard outside).

• Mount automatically clamps the phone and releases with a touch
  • positioned to reach easily with arm sitting on center rest. (Been doing this position since the early bagphone days - yea, dating myself)
  • found ab unusual problem with wireless charging in the truck, it shuts off when phone gets hot. This is Texas so it shuts off periodically. This is a function of the phone, not the charger. Spent some time with mfg trying to blame their product. But finally figured it out running ampere app. I'm fine with it, but others might prefer a vent mount so it gets cooling all the time. My desire for arm reset positioning is higher priority than the always charging option.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts