Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home my Pro and already put a scratch down the passenger side. When I spoke with the salesman the day I picked it up he said wait to wax the truck since it's new paint. I assume that is not true, or is it? I also have to polish out this light scratch 1st. Had the truck less than three days and already scratched, tool no jewel. Cement color hides the scratch quite nicely. Still bugs me I scratched it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When was the truck built? It says on the inside of the driver side door.
If it's over a month then you are good to go. Newer paint does not require you to wait the 90-day cure time like it has in the past. Wax her up!
Sucks about the scratch, but as long as it's not through the clear then you'll be able to buff that sucker out. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would also recommend some paint protector, i use Chemical Guys JetSeal, on the paint before you wax it. It lasts about a year but you need to wait 24-hours after applying it before waxing or washing to get the full effect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck was made a month ago. I assume that plenty of time to polish and wax. We have some Mothers California Gold Scratch remover, that stuff any good? If not you recommend a good scratch remover. I been thinking of getting a clay bar to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah month is plenty of time now days.
I've not had any experience with Mothers California Gold Scratch Remover, but the other product i have used by them have been great. i'm sure it will be fine.

I like https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-GAP_VKIT_04-Polish-Compound/dp/B00FALW192. I'm a fan of there stuff. You could start on the less aggressive polish to see if that gets the results you want, and work your way down to the more aggressive if necessary. Just make sure you work your way back up if you use the more aggressive polish.

Clay bar might be a good idea too like you are saying with car wash. I wouldn't usually use it on new paint but it will remove any contaminates on the scratch before you polish.

Let me know how it turns out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts