Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i just wanted to introduce myself... my name's Dan and i live in sunny San Diego ... got my truck 2 years ago when i turned 16 from my parents who originally bought the truck fresh off the lot. silver 2002 sr5 tell em what you think

few miles on it but i love it .... was thinking about selling it and getting a smaller car but after looking at what was out there in my price range i would have to be crazy to sell it ... now that im looking into it i'm thinking about getting a CAI which supposedly adds 16hp and 19 tq, a new carburator which is said to add 20-50hp and a new cat-back exhaust system about 7-15% hp.

all of which will give me better gas milage which is a BIG plus

tell me what ya think

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
hey guys i just wanted to introduce myself... my name's Dan and i live in sunny San Diego ... got my truck 2 years ago when i turned 16 from my parents who originally bought the truck fresh off the lot. silver 2002 sr5 tell em what you think

few miles on it but i love it .... was thinking about selling it and getting a smaller car but after looking at what was out there in my price range i would have to be crazy to sell it ... now that im looking into it i'm thinking about getting a CAI which supposedly adds 16hp and 19 tq, a new carburator which is said to add 20-50hp and a new cat-back exhaust system about 7-15% hp.

all of which will give me better gas milage which is a BIG plus

tell me what ya think
First of all the first gen Tundra is destine to become a clasic in its own way. The 4.7 motor is bombproof and I believe they are much more reliable than the second gen Tundra's. I know cuz I had a 2000 that I bought new and put 180,000 problem free miles on it. Wish I never would have sold it!
Your Tundra does not have a carb bro, it has fuel injectors witch should be cleaned from time to time! If you add an intake and a cat back chances are you will get worse mileage. Careful what you do to your rig! I'm just not sure what you want more, better mileage or more performance. There's a fine line between economy and performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was told by the dealership that they needed to replace the carburator/clean it and depending on what they were going to do it was between 300 for cleaning it and 500 for replacing it.... and i have read that you can seafoam the tundra's carburator and when i was checking for parts there were like 7 pages of carburators for the 2002 4.7L V8..........

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
well i was told by the dealership that they needed to replace the carburator/clean it and depending on what they were going to do it was between 300 for cleaning it and 500 for replacing it.... and i have read that you can seafoam the tundra's carburator and when i was checking for parts there were like 7 pages of carburators for the 2002 4.7L V8..........
That seafoam sounds like a good idea. Welcome and enjoy your ride. Nice pics. Happy happy to look at pics.:D

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
Sorry Dan but I've always known the 4.7 IForceV8 to have EFI!:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have no idea .... i better look into it so the dealer doesn't charge me to do nothing !!!

sort of like when they charge you for a security system that is already activated and on at the dealership

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
i have no idea .... i better look into it so the dealer doesn't charge me to do nothing !!!

sort of like when they charge you for a security system that is already activated and on at the dealership
I'm in agreement with DEZ I thought the same EFI. the worse thought was a throttle body.:cool:

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
I'm in agreement with DEZ I thought the same EFI. the worse thought was a throttle body.:cool:
Now that I recall, the throddle boddy replacment was a big $900 scam back with the first gen Tundras. My idle was kinda high on my 2000 one time so I took it to the dealer and he said I needed to replace the TB, when he quoted the price I told him he was frickin crazy. I went home popped off the plastic TB cover (the piece that says iforce 4.7 on it) and sprayed WD40 on the TB linkage, the problem immediately went away! DON'T LET THEM REPLACE YOUR THRODLE BODY!!!!:eek: I gotta tell ya because of the fact that its a first gen Tundra chances are there is nothing wrong with it! Don't fix what ain't broke!

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Now that I recall, the throddle boddy replacment was a big $900 scam back with the first gen Tundras. My idle was kinda high on my 2000 one time so I took it to the dealer and he said I needed to replace the TB, when he quoted the price I told him he was frickin crazy. I went home popped off the plastic TB cover (the piece that says iforce 4.7 on it) and sprayed WD40 on the TB linkage, the problem immediately went away! DON'T LET THEM REPLACE YOUR THRODLE BODY!!!!:eek: I gotta tell ya because of the fact that its a first gen Tundra chances are there is nothing wrong with it! Don't fix what ain't broke!
Agree again Don't fix what ain't broke.:cool:

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
His year does NOT have the iForce V8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts