Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've been on these forums for a long time, but I almost never post. My Tundra life has been interesting recently. I've owned these trucks since 2003. About a month ago my 2010 CrewMax 4x4 with 140,000 miles blew an engine! I was devastated and shocked. The truck HONESTLY got Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles. With no warning while just sitting in a parking lot it threw a rod out the side on the block. So after finally getting over the depression and dealing with the insane cost of replacing that engine, I did the logical thing. I got myself a 2016 TRD PRO!!! After much consideration I came to the conclusion that I simply got one of the very very few components that failed earlier than expected. It doesn't change my overall experience or the success of that engine or the truck.

BTW - My original 2003 Tundra is still going strong with 219K miles.

So, that's my story. Hope I can learn from everyone and I hope the new truck is as awesome as the first two.

Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
Welcome and glad to hear you are still bullish on the Tundras and glad you went with the Pro.
I have a 2015 DC Pro and at 8200 miles I still like it a lot and consider myself lucky to have one.

I am curious what you did with the 2010 CM? Living in Florida it probably still looked new. These Tundra's hold their value so well it'd seem like it would be a good candidate for another motor but are the motors hard to source cheaply?

I am new to the Toyota world and don't know squat about how much parts/ engines cost for these though I've done engine swaps in Chevy's and Miata's and those engines and parts for that matter are easy and cheap to come by.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still own the 2010 CM. The Toyota dealership wanted $13,000!!! to put a "USED" engine in it. I eventually found a local shop who is currently putting in a re-manufactured engine from LKQ. It will come with a 3yr warranty. It's very difficult to find used engines for these trucks and a re-manufactured engine is nearly impossible. Almost no one does them. I had one LKQ person tell me "we don't do them because those engines don't fail". Well mine did but I think it was just a freak thing. I may pass the 2010 on to me son or I may sell it. I haven't really decided yet.

·
Registered
492 Posts
lwofjax,
Thanks for responding and it's smart that you held on to it and will get another engine for it. I see a lot of Tudras where I live and don't remember seeing anybody parting one out. I guess that's good and bad..good that they last a very long time but bad that if you need a major component then it'll cost you.

When I lived in the NE the salt would rot a vehicle out before many miles were put on. The engine and tranny would be fine. I've always thought that a good side business would be sourcing low mileage vehicles from rotted out vehicles from the rust belt and placing them into vehicles that came from the south.

Where I currently live vehicles don't need undercoating and rust is non existent. It's still amazes me that a local vehicle can have over 200,000 miles be twenty years old and have no rust underneath!
Anyway I rambled a bit but again, welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with the crewmax and the quicksand color. Not really many options on the TRD Pro. It came with the spray in bed liner and the "led cargo area lights". I had them add the Bak Flip bed cover and the llumar paint protection film.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts