Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to check in and introduce myself. I purchased a new, 2017 SR5 Crewmax about 2 months ago and have been cruising the forum for the last few weeks. Lots of good information here and I’m looking forward to contributing as I put some miles and mods on this truck.

I plan to keep it fairly stock as I’m using it as a company vehicle for my construction business. I will be having a Nomad Heavy Duty valve body from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions installed in the next few weeks. I’ll be documenting the installation as well as the performance improvements after the install. I’m also going to be installing a Yaesu FT-8900 in the truck as well and I’ve been looking into antenna mount options. I may install an ARB roof rack to install the antenna on but we’ll see what happens.

So far the truck has exceeded all of my expectations and I’m beyond happy with it. My other rig is a nicely modified 94 Land Cruiser and I’ve owned several other Land Cruisers so I’m pretty partial to Toyota!

Cheers!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Welcome aboard. I'm in Santa Clarita

·
Registered
408 Posts
valve body?

Just wanted to check in and introduce myself. I purchased a new, 2017 SR5 Crewmax about 2 months ago and have been cruising the forum for the last few weeks. Lots of good information here and I’m looking forward to contributing as I put some miles and mods on this truck.

I plan to keep it fairly stock as I’m using it as a company vehicle for my construction business. I will be having a Nomad Heavy Duty valve body from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions installed in the next few weeks. I’ll be documenting the installation as well as the performance improvements after the install. I’m also going to be installing a Yaesu FT-8900 in the truck as well and I’ve been looking into antenna mount options. I may install an ARB roof rack to install the antenna on but we’ll see what happens.

So far the truck has exceeded all of my expectations and I’m beyond happy with it. My other rig is a nicely modified 94 Land Cruiser and I’ve owned several other Land Cruisers so I’m pretty partial to Toyota!

Cheers!

Jeff
Welcome Jeff!

just curious about this valve body you're having installed. Why are you doing this? will it void your warranty on the transmission?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Jeff!

just curious about this valve body you're having installed. Why are you doing this? will it void your warranty on the transmission?
Thank you for all the welcomes!

The valve body comes from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia. These guys have been building heavy duty transmissions for 4x4’s for years. When I first bought my FZJ80 I contacted these guys for their Extreme A442F but just couldn’t justify the cost since my transmission was still operating perfectly. 15 years later and at almost 280K on the clock the transmission is still going strong.

Wholesale Automatics has a great reputation in Australia and now they have teamed up with Cruiser Brothers here in the US so I’m jumping in.

As far as performance improvements, this is from the product literature. I’ll report back after the install with my impressions and if it was worth the effort:

1. Nice, crisp shifts
2. Reduced slippage and over reving on acceleration
3. Improved fuel economy
4. Better torque converter lock-up – great for towing
5. Up to 10% increase in engine braking power
6. Reduced heat, increased service life before repairs are needed

Void warranty? Technically, yes. If I ever have a warranty issue with the transmission they’d have to find it though and they’d really have to look for it. It’s an OEM Toyota valve body with some modifications to springs and passage ways. I’m going to take the chance since I believe the improvements will only serve to promote longevity in the transmission. I also trust WAT’s reputation as they’ve been a staple in the 4x4 world in Australia for years.

I’ll also be installing their torque converter lockup kit so I can manually lockup the TC when towing. I’ll review that as well.

Here’s a pic of the truck. Sorry it’s sideways:doh:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, if it’s anything like my cruisers have been, it is madness!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Jeff!

Thanks for all the welcomes to the board!

The valve body is from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia. I'll also be installing their torque converter lockup kit as well. The reason is for improved shifting, cooler transmission temps and improved fuel economy for heavy towing. I trust WAT as they've been building rock solid transmissions for 4x4's for years, their Heavy Duty Nomad valve body is not new to the transmission market in general, just for Tundras. Technically it would void the warranty if found. It will look original after installation and the modifications are so slight it would take a trained technician looking specifically for that in order to find it. For me, I'm ok with taking the chance on it as it's a part that will improve performance and add longevity (Reduced heat and less slipping of catch plates) to the transmission. Once I have it all installed, I'll do a writeup and let everyone know how it works and what differences I find.

Here's a picture of my truck. Sorry about the sideways picture!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Welcome to TT. That valve body sounds interesting, how much do they cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to TT. That valve body sounds interesting, how much do they cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe it's $1,295 + labor but I'll check on that get an update after mine gets installed.

Reactions: jc153
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.