Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard or seen Kickers new Comp RT series subs? Even the 12'' is only like 3.75'' mounting depth and can take around 800wRMS which seems pretty impressive for a slim sub.

It only needs like .5 cubes for a sealed box so you could most likely get a box behind the CrewMax seats and maybe not lose any clicks. Hoping to hear some reviews on SQ as well as best box type/dimensions for this sub.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm putting a pair of 10's in my DblCab next month so I'll let you know. They should sound pretty good if powered properly.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I just installed 2 10s in a dour cab for a customer of mine running off of the sub channel of a jl audio 900/5 they sound great. You will be very happy, you will probably still lose one click on the seat to keep the subs from slapping into it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
No, the 900/5 runs them very well, pretty sure it would turn them inside out if you so desired. 500 watts is more than enough for a pair of 10s hell I use it often to run pairs of the jl 13tw5 subs.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I haven't played much with them yet as they just came out I have only installed the one pair but I would bet there will be very little difference if you we're to run a true 600 to each. With the 900/5 they were running about as hard as I would ever want to push a sub.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Useful range is 100-600 rms. Likely 600 is towards the failure area.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We are talking about these subs yes???

Kicker 40CWRT102 CompRT shallow-mount 10" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

Just a little curious as to why you think 500wRMS is enough for 2 subs that can handle around 2.5 times that amount...Has me a little worried about buying them if you wouldnt want to push them harder than 500wRMS total.
You can definitely run more power it just isn't needed. Like I said I have only had the chance to play with one set so far, and they seem to be very efficient meaning even though they will take more power it isn't needed. That combined with the 500 from the sub channel on the jl amp outperforming most other 500 watt amps I've seen it makes for a good combination. What amp are you planning on running?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P1000.1 @ 1ohm. With it pushing like 785 wRMS @ 12v and 1000 wRMS @ 14.4v I am planning on seeing realistically around 850-900wRMS at our Tundra voltage of like 13.5ish. Prolly keeping gains around 75%.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
P1000.1 @ 1ohm. With it pushing like 785 wRMS @ 12v and 1000 wRMS @ 14.4v I am planning on seeing realistically around 850-900wRMS at our Tundra voltage of like 13.5ish. Prolly keeping gains around 75%.
Turning the gain 75% of the way up is pretty high for most head units. The gain is not a volume knob it is an input level sensitivity adjustment. Which means when hooked up to a deck there is only ONE correct position for the gain no matter what is hooked up to it. You can back off a little if needed but using the gain to compensate for too much or too little output is going to negatively affect sound quality.

Edit: I just looked at one of the Rockford amps I have in stock, 75% up on the gain is sett up for a pre amp signal of about 0.70 volts even most cheap head units have a 1.5-2 volt pre amp so that would be too high.

That amp is a good recommendation though its a great amp for the money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday, I test-fitted the loaded CompRT 12" box behind the driver's side back seat, you definitely lose a few clicks especially if you tilt the seat back at all. Still have plenty of room though. I love the slim design and it can take quite a bit of power (800rms for the 12) but I need to hear this bad boy before I buy one. I think I will be in for a let down but I'm coming from having 2 heavy hitting DC Audio 12s with a lot more room :rolleyes:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pretty impressive numbers.. I would like to hear one in person. I am still trying to decide on my sub set up.

Currently have a Kicker L5 10" and a JL W3v3 12" sitting in my garage but not sure if either would fit a box behind the seats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pretty impressive numbers.. I would like to hear one in person. I am still trying to decide on my sub set up.

Currently have a Kicker L5 10" and a JL W3v3 12" sitting in my garage but not sure if either would fit a box behind the seats.
Those subs will fit a box but you might have to move your seats forward at least halfway...it kinda sucks that the back wall behind the rear seats has that little hump on the bottom...you lose a precious inch or so of depth.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Those subs will fit a box but you might have to move your seats forward at least halfway...it kinda sucks that the back wall behind the rear seats has that little hump on the bottom...you lose a precious inch or so of depth.
Yeah I am ok with losing maybe 2 clicks but not half I don't think.. like I said, still trying to think about how I want to do it.

I was told with the TechVolt box you could fit RE audio 10" subs in with only losing 2 clicks. I wouldn't buy from him anymore but I am sure there is a way to get some full size subs installed without killing the leg room too much.. might look into building my own box with a similar design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah I am ok with losing maybe 2 clicks but not half I don't think.. like I said, still trying to think about how I want to do it.

I was told with the TechVolt box you could fit RE audio 10" subs in with only losing 2 clicks. I wouldn't buy from him anymore but I am sure there is a way to get some full size subs installed without killing the leg room too much.. might look into building my own box with a similar design.
When I was down that way for training, I talked to a guy who's got a shop in Wichita Falls about building me a box for my CM. His prices were great for the product he puts out. I just couldn't decide on what sub(s) I want to use. Not sure if I can just put his info on here but you can google "NETAudio"

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have a custom vented box and fits 2 RE Audio SRX 10's :) Only lost a few clicks. I moved it forward a little further than I had to, because these RE's have some serious excursion.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What kind of excursion do the new RT's have? I just came home to a brand new kicker amp and 2 10's, compliments of the misses!! Got to love her! Guess I will be replacing the 10's I have now in my double cab and selling them.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I dont think you will find a sub that will keep more clicks than the CompRT. The 12'' only has a mounting depth of like 3.75'' and pretty small sealed space of .5cubes. Thinking only going to lose like 1 click with a well designed box.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts