Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched the forums to no avail....Does anyone know where to pick up a new key fob and blank key other than the stealer? I only have one fob and one master key. I would like to get a spare....

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Question: Do you have TechStream or know someone that does?

If so, then yes, you can purchase on eBay then have it cut and program it yourself

If not, then a locksmith may be an alternative to the stealership.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a hacked version of tech stream on my windows 10 laptop. Not sure if it works yet because I haven't used it. Do locksmiths have Tech stream or are they only able to cut the key. I just try an avoid the dealer if I can.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought a flip key off eBay and took it it to my local locksmith to have him cut it and he offered to program it for me. I think I blew his mind when I told him that i could with TS. He'd never heard of such. lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
Beats me. Special locksmith tool??

I love the flip key. Cuts down on the pocket clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The exact same reason why I went ahead and went the flip route. I think I paid $49 for mine and $10 to get the key cut. They seemed confused on my end as well when I told them I didn't need them to program the key or the key fob. My exact words were "if you're gonna do it for free go ahead cause that is what it's going to cost me when I get back home."

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I bought a "switchblade" style key on eBay with the correct key code and FCC code for the transmitter. My locksmith cut the key to match my OEM key and programmed it using their tool. It has the same security and remote control programming functions as Techstream, just not the other features of Techstream. He said it is used to program all vehicles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was thinking about picking up the techstream software and cable on eBay. Anyone know what I should be looking for? It ranges from $20 to $1200 and I'm not sure what I would need. Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Think you could send me a copy?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I followed this video programed Fob and new key.

I used an old laptop with Windows XP it would not work on Windows 10. I bought the software, USB cable and OEM key and OEM FOB for $52. on Amazon. Watch the little video on the software disc and follow directions carefully.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question on the key fobs and keys.

After reading through this thread, (new Tundra owner), I am a bit surprised that the Tundra key fobs and keys are such a problem to program. I was a 4Runner owner since '03, and have gotten new fobs and keys from ebay sources, and there is a procedure to program both keys and fobs right in the vehicle without any computer or software. I have done it several times, and if you follow the instructions, it always works.

Are the Tundras that different from the 4Runners?

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
don't let Home Depot Cut it. My Flip key was useless... They messes it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts