Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, i decided to do a phone holder mod because i was tired of using up one of my cup holders for a phone holder. And i had no use for that coin holder thing. So i was in home depot the other day and found this, i eye balled the size, gave it a shot, and it was a perfect fit:

I then picked up a bracket, sorry i dont have the pic of the package but you can see what it looks like. Anyhow, i spray painted them flat black to match my dash:

I then drilled a couple holes in the bracket and door cover. Then I drilled a hole in the exact center of the door cover and connected my iphone holder to the door cover with a screw. Then i pulled back the right side of my dash to allow me to slip the bracket behind it, and connected the bracket to the door cover with a couple screws.

Pic with the phone craddle attached:

And here's the final product:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 xsp and I did this mod for my phone holder. Do you know what the wires connected to the back of the coin holder are for? I just left them connected to the holder and stuffed them in the back.. Thanks for the mod!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I'm extremely interested in this. My only issue is I don't know what the process is for removing the coin holder. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For others that read this, removing the coin holder is easy. I just pulled on the coin holder until the dash starting coming out enough to reach behind it. The coin holder is held in by three clips, just push them in and pop out the part. It's a two-piece item, too and they just snap together to create the holder. After you're done, the dash just snaps back into place.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Nice idea, too bad for us 4x4 Tundra folks.....

I really want a nice mount for my iPhone....and I like the idea of one incorporated into the dash like this one

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice idea, too bad for us 4x4 Tundra folks.....

I really want a nice mount for my iPhone....and I like the idea of one incorporated into the dash like this one
Check out proclipusa.com. What they have for the Tundra puts the holder in front of the air vent just above the coin holder/4x4 dial. I don't think it's the best location, but it's a lot better than using a cup holder.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I have been thinking about doing a modd like this!!! Have never got around to it..

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice mod. What iphone holder is that if I may ask?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you TundraLA for the idea. I just bought the iMagnet phone mount and used your post to create a mod:

I pulled on the coin holder until the dash pins popped out on the bottom right, slid my hand behind to unclip the coin holder and pulled it off. Then, I cut out a square piece of sheet metal that was just bigger than the hole and drilled 3 holes through the black door handle and the sheet metal (one directly center to attach the mount, and two on the edges of the handle to screw the handle into place.

The iMagnet has a 1" ball to allow the magnet to swivel, so I unscrewed the nut to remove the magnet assembly from the mount arm. The magnet assembly is held together by a small screw, so I found a 1" screw of the same diamter to screw the magnet into the plate/door handle from behind the dash. Put my other two screws (just used standard dry wall screws) in the edges to keep the door handle in place and popped the dash back in.

Black Sliding Door Handle from Home Depot:

iMagnet Stock Photo:

Installed:

With Garmin GPS in Place:

·
Registered
21 Posts
does the magnet cause any funny problems with the gps or phone?
No problems so far with the iPhone on voice calls or using Google Maps. Candidly, I haven't used the Garmin other than to take the picture since my maps are so severely outdated.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HackGolfer, i like your version, i may change mine up.......Do you have a link to where you got your iMagnet from?

·
Registered
111 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts