Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a tundra site unseen because I got a good deal on it and I have the option to return for money back with in 3 days or 300 miles.

I'm not new to model specific forums, I've found them to be very helpful on past cars and motorcycles, so I have searched and done my research.

Vehicle 2010 DC Rock Warrior 142,000 miles (has to be mostly highway so I felt good about that), Car fax one owner but virtually no maintenance history.

I'm in KY for the holidays, girlfriend in phoenix looked at it and said there were no obvious issues that didn't show up in photos and that it ran and drove well.

I'll be back on January 4th and I'll pick it up then. I plan on replacing all fluids, serp belt and tensioner, water pump and spark plugs. But first I'm taking it straight to a highly rated independent toyota mechanic for a full pre purchase inspection.

I know I'm also looking for these issues: Cam Tower Leak, Rear Axle bearing leak, Air injection pump failure.

I've asked the mechanic to do a compression test as well just to give me a warm and fuzzy.

My question is this, the selling dealer is an Autonation Chevy dealer, I'm thinking they will have it cleaned up and if there is a cam tower leak or rear axle bearing leak the evidence may not show up in 3 days.

Anything else I can ask the mechanic to look for specifically?

I run magnetic drain plugs in everything and I've thought about trying to replace the oil plug, front and rear diff, transmission and transfer case plug with magnetic plugs, top them back off, then drive for a few miles to let the magnets catch anything that would be there and maybe that might be a good indicator.

So I've been reading a lot and playing catch up trying to learn the quirks of an unfamiliar vehicle, if I've missed anything or you have any advice or just think I'm going way overboard, let me know.

Thank in advance, glad to have this resource.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys are big on magnetic drain plugs but my friends and I all run Dimple brand, a little bit more expensive but certainly worth it, super high quality and much stronger magnets than any others I've seen. The link for the ones for the Tundra in case anyone is interested:
TOYOTA/LEXUS NISSAN/ INFINITI

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome Mike. Siunds like you really did your research! Seems to me you covered it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to buy a Rock Warrior this week but it sold before I got there. That was in Hilton Head SC. Wound up with a xspx. Grats on a very cool truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts