Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting rid of my 2004 Ford PSD CC SB 4x4 and replacing it. My friend bought a new Tundra last year and pulls and RV about the same size as mine 7500#, give or take...he say he has no problems driving out of Californiaa central valley into another state.

This was the reason I got a diesel, because a gasser just couldn't do the job, but because I have had so many warranty issues (18 in 33k miles) I think it may be going away in several months.

So on to my question...what are the good and bads about the new Tundra?...would I be dissapointed with a half ton gasser?...I know I'd have to install air bags and I would get lousy milage, but if I could add an Aux. tank like I have in my diesel I'd be OK with the lousy milage. We usually take mulitple trips in the summer and one is usally 3 weeks and 3K+ plus miles so the extra tank would be a must and I know right now there are none on the market, but I'm also wondering what you guys tow on long trips and how heavy and what kind of mountin driving with a trailer?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
First of all welcome. I haven't done much pulling with my Tundra but the stuff i have done, i can tell you its effortless with this truck. Great power, and not much sag with the trailer i have hauled. Not sure of the weight though. There is lots of info on this great site, and im sure others will chime in.

·
Banned
945 Posts
I don't but from what I have heard you mpg should not be that bad unless you are towing maybe like 9-10k you should be okay with 7500 bout 10-12 mpg. I would suggest a well equiped tundra to make sure it can so what you need it to ! You should be happy with your choice the tailgate is a bit weak if you load really harvy stuff on but if it split the dealer should replace it.

P.S. tow haul mode is what you need to use wheen towing don't use the manual shift in tow haul mode !

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
turnandburn;

Your rig looks about the same length as mine, mine's 26'.
The trailer is my father inlaws, his little Dodge RC couldn't handle it, so it was the Tundra to the rescue:D. I'm pretty sure its a 26' as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts